Chapter 12

Liam

I hated leaving Valen so soon. I feel like I should've stayed with her a while longer. A serial killer attacked her for God's sake, how could she be fine. She must be really shaken up.

"Screw it!" I said out loud. I quickly found a place to turn my car around and I headed back to Valen's house.

I jumped from my car, and practically ran to her door. There were no lights on in the house. I lightly tapped on the door in case she and her mother were already asleep. Valen answered within a few seconds. She was still wearing the red dress. She is so damn gorgeous in that dress. It was dark, but I could tell that she had been crying. Without saying a word, I put my arms out to her, offering her a hug. She slowly stepped into my arms, and I wrapped them around her as if I were a strong cocoon protecting its beautiful butterfly. She broke into a flood of tears, sobbing into my shoulder. I didn't say anything. I just held her and allowed her to cry, to heal in her own way. In her own time. I'm just not sure who was being comforted more, her or myself. I was the one in the arms of an angel after all.

After a couple of minutes, she pulled back. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

I wiped a stray tear from her face with my thumb. Even after crying so hard, she's still a picture of perfect porcelain. "You have nothing to be sorry about. I allowed you to be in that dangerous situation. I'm the one who should be sorry, and Lord only knows how sorry I truly am," I told her.

She shook her head. "No, you can't put this on yourself. I wanted to do it. And I'm glad I did because we caught the bastard." She gave me a half smile.

I smiled back. "We sure did, and thanks to you he's going to go away for the rest of his life."

"Yeah." Her smile grew bigger, and I knew that she was going to be just fine.

"Now you go rest up. I'll see you in the morning."

"Okay, goodnight. Again."

I waited until she went back in before I left.

*****

The next morning, I stopped at the café to get Valen and I a chai tea, and Kristie just happened to be in line. Not again.

She got her latte and stopped to greet me on her way out. "Hello Liam," she said cheerfully. I'm guessing she's no longer angry with me from our last encounter.

"Hi Kristie," I said nonchalant. "How's Ralph?" I couldn't resist throwing that last part in.

She sighed heavily and rolled her eyes. "Are you still angry with me?"

"No, I'm not angry with you. I'm over it." It was true. I haven't thought once about Kristie since that day I bumped into Valen.

She gave me a twisted smile. "Oh, well that's good. So, I heard you caught the Butcher."

"Don't tell me it's in the papers already," I said, surprised.

"Sydney told me. I'm glad its over," she smiled.

"Yeah, you and me both."

"Well, since you have some free time now, would you like to do something tomorrow night?" she asked, not wasting any time.

"Kristie, we're over. Remember?" I reminded her before I stepped up to the counter to place my order.

After I placed my order, I looked around and Kristie was already gone. I let out a breath of relief.

I walked outside the café with two-chai teas in hand, and Kristie was standing on the sidewalk between the door of the café and my Taurus. She was talking on her cell phone, but ended her call as soon as she noticed me.

"I messed up. I know that," Kristie stated. "But can't you find it in your giant heart to give me another chance?"

I stared at her for a moment. I'll admit, we did have some good times, but was I happy with her? Truly happy?

"No," I finally answered, and then I tried to walk to my car, but she cut me off. She put a hand on my arm to stop me.

"If you give me another chance, I promise I'll make it worth your time. I'll make it worth your life," she begged.

I looked past Kristie, looked at Valen sitting in my car. Valen was watching us intently. I realized in that moment that there was only one woman I wanted, and it definitely wasn't Kristie. I silently prayed Kristie didn't notice Valen sitting in my car. Who knows what she's capable of?

I put my attention back on Kristie. "It's over Kristie," I told her sternly. "Go back to Ralph or find someone else. Go on with your life." I walked around her, making my way to my car.

As I was getting into the car, Kristie came up to the passenger side and lightly knocked on the window. Since the car was still running, Valen was able to put the window down.

Damn it!

Kristie put her hand up to the window to gesture a handshake. "Hi, I'm Kristie. I'm Liam's girlfriend. And you are?"

"I'm Valen," she answered, shaking Kristie's hand.

"Do you work with Liam?" Kristie probed. I'm sure she wanted to know if Valen was my new girlfriend.

"Yeah. I guess you could say that," Valen answered. There was something about her expression that bothered me. Was it disappointment, or sadness maybe?

"Well, you're in good hands Valen. My Liam is a great mentor." Kristie paused to give Valen a mischievous smile. "Well, it was nice to meet you," she said before turning back to me. "Liam, I'll see you later sweetheart," she told me before finally walking back to her white Mercedes.

"No you won't," I called out behind her, but she ignored me.

"She's not my girlfriend," I told Valen before pulling out of the parking space.

She shrugged. "Oh. Well, you don't need to explain anything to me. It's none of my business anyway."

"I know. I just wanted you to know the truth."

Valen hardly spoke another word to me the rest of the ride to the station. I would do almost anything to find out what was going through her beautiful mind.