[38] Head Above Water

Start from the beginning

But before he could, Sara felt it in her chest. This horrible, nasty feeling like someone was tugging on her heart or squeezing it to dust in their hands.

"What's wrong with Stiles?" Sara asked, quickly getting out of bed and throwing some shoes on.

"I don't know. He called me and I-He said he was sleep walking and doesn't know where he is. He said he tried calling you but you--you didn't answer. He didn't want me telling you---he doesn't want you to worry... so...I don't know what's going on but we have to find him. He thinks someone hurt his leg." Scott said.

Sara nodded her head, grabbing her bag and phone before feeling her hands shaking. Scott noticed this and grabbed her hands in his own, steadying them as Sara looked up at him. She let out a sharp breath, feeling tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry. We'll find him." Scott reassured Sara.

Sara let out a sharp breath, shaking her head. "We have to find him, Scott---....we have to. I can't--..I ca...I can't lose anyone else. Losing my dad broke me--...losing Stiles...It might actually kill me." Sara said, looking away from Scott as he gently put his hands on her cheeks.

"Hey, we're going to find him. Everything's going to be fine." Scott said, looking into Sara's eyes. "I swear we're going to find him or I'm going to die trying." Scott said.

Sara stood quiet, nodding her head as she wiped her tears. She adjusted her bag around her shoulders before telling Scott they needed to hurry, following him out of her bedroom to go grab Isaac and begin trying to find Stiles.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"I don't understand...he's not here. He's not anywhere. It's like he just vanished." Sara said, feeling her heartbeat rising as everyone regrouped in an attempt to find Stiles.

They found his jeep at the hospital, the battery dead but he was nowhere in the hospital. It was like he just vanished into thin air, nowhere to be found so far. 

Sara and Scott ended up on the roof with Derek, the werewolves telling Sara that they smelled the chemo-signal for anxiety and fear around them. Stiles' fear and anxiety to be exact. After checking the hospital inch by inch and no sign of him anywhere, everyone split up again to try and find him.

"Hey, we're going to find him. Don't worry." Derek said, looking over at a sickly looking Sara. "Hey, you okay?" Derek asked, giving Sara a concerned look once he got a better look at her. 

Saying that Sara didn't look so good would be an understatement. She had dark bags under her eyes, her skin looked sweaty and pale, and she had a sort of....dazed look on her face. She didn't look like she was doing all that great. 

Sara shook her head, clearing her throat before answering Derek's question. "I'm not. But I will be once we find Stiles and he's safe."

"No--..it's different. You look drained and exhausted. Like something's been sucking the life and energy out of you." Derek explained, giving Sara a questioning look.

"Yeah, well, it's been a difficult couple of months. What with my dad dying and all. So, I don't know? How about we focus on the matter at hand, which is finding Stiles." Sara argued while her and Derek were heading off to try and find Stiles.

"If something's wrong, you can talk to me. I know, we haven't exactly talked all that much since...since what you asked me." Derek began saying, Sara turning so she wouldn't face him at the moment.

She thought back to that night. To the night where she first saw her dad in her head. It was almost real. It felt real. She remembers asking Derek that night if he thought bringing back the dead was a good idea--if he'd bring back his family, no matter the cost.