18: Rather Be (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

I opened my mouth to protest but instead of words, a low groan came out. I felt Scott's fingers digging into my ass through my jeans. His lips traveled downwards to the side of my neck before he settled for the dip in between my collarbones. At that moment I was so tempted to drag him to my room and fuck his brains out (or more accurately, let him fuck my brains out) but I didn't want what I had prepared to go to waste. So I put my hands on his chest and pushed him gently. "Babe, wait..."

He lifted his head but didn't say a word. I could see that his eyes were filled with lust and I knew that if I didn't move fast, he'd be all over me again. And I also knew that it would be very hard for me to resist him. "Let's sit." I stepped back but took his hand and led him to the center of the living room.

The coffee table had been moved to the side and several blankets were placed on top of our rug. A couple of new matching throw pillows were also loosely placed. In the center was a bucket with ice and red wine, while beside it was 2 wine glasses and a box of chocolate-coated strawberries. Scattered all around the room were jasmine-scented candles placed in stained glass containers. On the ceiling were balloons all tied together.

I sat on one of the pillows and Scott sat opposite me. I opened the wine and poured each of us a glass. All the while I said nothing. Scott remained quiet, too, and he just observed me. I handed him his glass before I finally spoke.

"Babe, I've known you more than half of my life and the last few weeks have been the absolute best I have spent with you." I was so happy that everything was finally falling into place and that I was pulling off my surprise. "Happy, happy birthday, Scott." Waterworks were threatening to escape my eyes. "I love you so much." A tear fell despite my efforts to hold it in. I chuckled lightly as I wiped it away. "I kind of expected myself to be emotional so here..." I reached into my pocket and handed him a safety pin.

He accepted it with a confused look on his face. "What's this for?"

"It's for the balloons."

He looked up before turning his gaze back to me. "I just realized... there weren't any balloons at the party earlier!"

I let out a little laugh. "I had a different plan for them that's why I didn't want any balloons at the party."

He raised the pin in his hand. "So I need to pop them?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"You'll see why." I reached for the string of the one of the balloons and separated it from the rest. I pulled it downwards and handed it to Scott. "Here you go."

He took the balloon from me and heard something move inside. "What's that?"

"Find out for yourself."

He held the balloon on one side and stretched his hand away from us before piercing it with the pin. It gave a rather loud sound. "Woah." He brought the now popped balloon near his face as he tried to retrieve what was inside. He found a piece of powder blue paper and unrolled it. 

"I love the way your hand perfectly fits mine. Even a little squeeze makes me feel that everything will be alright." I had handwritten the message.

His expression changed from curious to... I don't know, surprised? "Mitch..." he whispered. He started to move closer to me.

I held up a hand to stop him. "There's more where that came from."

He kneeled and reached for another string before sitting on his heels. He popped the balloon and retrieved the paper inside.

"I love sleeping next to you at night. I sleep more soundly when I fall asleep in your arms and I hear the beating of your heart."