14: Latch (Part 2)

"I'm latching on, babe. Now I know what I have found."

---

September 6. 10:05 AM.

Now the rest of PTX know, as well as Jonathan, our manager, and Mama Bear Esther. We told them the other day.

It was funny how things went down. So we were at Kevin and Avi's, in their living room, eating the food Esther brought over. Our meeting had just concluded and everybody was kind of busy talking in small groups or tinkering with their phones.

Scott held my hand and squeezed it lightly. "Game time, babe?" he whispered.

"Uh huh," I nodded.

"Hey, guys," Scott raised his voice to call everybody's attention. "Mitch and I have an announcement to make."

All eyes and ears were on us when Kirstie suddenly blurted, "What, you're getting married?" Then everybody started laughing.

You have to understand. Scott and I, being the drama queens that we were, have used the we-have-an-announcement line before even for the simplest of stuff that it kind of became a joke within the group. It was probably a bad idea to have started with that.

Scott and I looked at each other. His cheeks were stained a light pink and I felt the blood warming my cheeks, too. "Uhm..." I said, turning back my attention to the group.

"Wait, are you serious?! Oh my god!" Kirstie covered her mouth with both hands as she gasped. There's a reason why she's our closest friend. She's a drama queen, too, just like me and Scott.

The laughing stopped and everybody's eyes darted between me and the blonde beside me.

"First of all, hold your horses. We're not getting married. Do you see a ring on this pretty finger?" I held my hand up, wiggling my ring finger. "No, he didn't put a ring on it."

"But," Scott interjected, "we are dating. We're officially a couple. Have been for a few weeks now, actually."

"Get the fuck out. Are you for real?" Jonathan spoke up.

"Is this another Superfruit prank? Are there hidden cameras or something?" Esther chimed in, looking around.

I looked at Scott. "Babe, I think they need proof."

Scott smirked. "Oh, you mean like this?" He cupped my cheeks with his palms and kissed me. Passionately. With tongue. Like he was a predator and I was the prey and he was going in for the kill. The kind of kiss where you automatically shut your eyes and kind of forget everything else around you.

I was a little dazed when Scott pulled back. I had to take a moment to breathe and wrap my head around what just happened.

"Babe, close your mouth. Kiss is over." Scott whispered, holding my chin.

"No shit." It was Kevin. His voice reminded me that we had company.

"Pay up, man," I heard Avi say to Kevin.

Kirstie stood up, squealing as she made her way to Scott and I. She hugged both of us at the same time. "You guys! I'm so happy for you!" She started squealing again.

"Thank you, Kitty Kat," Scott said, returning her hug.

I saw Kevin pulling out his wallet and handing a $100 bill over to Avi.

"Okay, what is going on there?"

Kevin and Avi looked at us. Avi held up the bill, either end on his fingertips. "Kevin and I kind of made a bet. I told him there was something going on between you two, and he didn't believe me."