18: Rather Be (Part 2)

"As long as I am with you, my heart continues to beat."

---

September 19. 10:00 PM.

So... Scott's birthday. Where was I? Right, the surprise party at McDonald's. That was fun. We wore party hats, played kiddie games, ate burger and chicken, and danced with the mascot. Scott had a cake with 23 little blue candles. Everybody also went home with loot bags filled with toys (which, let's be real, they will have no use for; but it was a kiddie party and that had to be done).

Avi had driven Scott's car from the restaurant to McDonald's. We were inside and I was waiting for Scott to start the car while I fixed the contents of my bag.

"Mitchell." He still hadn't started the engine. He was looking straight ahead, his eyebrows were a little furrowed, and both his hands were gripping the steering wheel.

Shit. He's mad. I went too far. I shouldn't have pushed through with the hospital charade. "Yes, babe?" I asked, my voice trying to hide my fear. 

He faced me and blue eyes bore through mine. "Are you really okay?" he asked warily, his voice laced with concern. 

At that moment I felt really guilty for what I put him through. I reached for his right hand and brought it to my cheek. "Scott... Babe, I am. I really am. I mean I'm not 100% okay and I still feel a little tired, that much is real. And I was really sick. But the vomiting and the fainting, those weren't. The IV really hurt, though." I smiled weakly.

He let out a deep sigh before he pulled me into a tight embrace. I felt his shoulders slump. "I was so scared. You were okay this morning and then you were not, and you fainted in my arms. I didn't even notice that I was the only one panicking so much." He pulled away and brought his hands to my cheeks and kissed me hard and long until we were both out of breath.

"Wow." The kiss was amazing I had to say it out loud. "I should probably get sick more often if I get to have more kisses like that."

Scott looked at me, no sign of amusement on his face.

"Too soon? Sorry." Bad joke, Mitch. "We should head home," I said, changing the subject.

A smile spread across his face. "I agree. I haven't had you to myself long enough today." He let go of me and faced front, wore his seatbelt and started the engine.

We pulled into our apartment a couple of minutes later. I went out of the car in a hurry.

"Marcy, wait for me!" Scott yelled.

I didn't wait for him. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. I entered the apartment and closed the door behind me.

"Michelleeeee, what is the matter with you? Why did you close the -" He stopped in his tracks as soon as he opened the door.

I watched as his face transformed from irritated to shocked to awed. "Surprise, love."

"Mitch..." He gaze went from me, to the living room, then back to me again. "This... how..." He took a couple of steps to the couch before turning around. "But you were with me the whole day!"

"I asked Claudia to help me." I closed the distance between us. "I hope you love it." I put my hands on his back as I looked at him expectantly.

"I have a feeling there's more but as it is, I love it already. Thank you for all these, my Mitchie," he said as he mirrored what I did and put his hands on my back. He leaned down and his lips captured mine. The kiss was gentle at first. I could feel Scott's smile as he planted one small kiss after another before he nibbled on my lower lip. Then Scott's hands wandered down to my ass and his hips pressed against mine at the same time he claimed my mouth, hungrily this time.