5: La La La (Part 1)

"Hush, don't speak."

---

February 16. 11:00 AM.

I slept in this morning. When I woke up, there already were a fresh cup of coffee and some pastries on my bedside table. On my coffee sleeve was a note. "Just wanted to remind you that you deserve better. - Spongebob" Aww, that was sweet. Scott didn't usually do that, like leave notes for me. I found it terribly endearing. I grabbed my phone to send him a message and saw that he also left me a text. "Be out whole day 2day, need 2 be alone. See u @ dinner." I typed a reply. "Will restock fridge with more ice cream & maybe chocol8s. C u l8r."

I wonder when Scott will tell me what really happened between him and Alex. Now that I think about it, Alex kind of moved really fast. He and Scott have only been together for 6 months. Do people really do that, ask someone to move in with them after such a short time? But more importantly, why did Scott say no? Anyway, I'll probably know sooner or later.

So as promised... V-Day. Quick recap. Basically, I became a desperate drunk who gave into old bad habits (Travis). And while I was thoroughly enjoying the kisses and the body of said bad habit, my best friend (Scott) saw me. Bad habit brought up past issues which helped me remember why one, he was a bad habit, and two, why I didn't need him in my life. I kicked bad habit out of my home and went to check up on my best friend. That pretty much sums it up, yes?

Reasons why both bad habit guy and move-in-with-me guy (Alex) weren't with us on the morning after Valentines are already known. Now the question is, what happened in between me knocking on best friend's room and me waking up on his bed, in his clothes? 

As far as I can remember, I waited forever outside Scott's door. I had to knock several times and call out to him. I started with "Stefanie, are you alright? Let me in." When that didn't work, I used "Yoohoooo! Scooterrrr! I'm waiting!" When that still didn't work, I got a little more dramatic. "I'm dying out here and my hands are bleeding from knocking on your door." Guess what, Scott still didn't come to the door. Normally I would have left him alone since he obviously didn't want company but I was drunk and didn't have much inhibition. I resorted to profanities and violence. "Hey, stupid! Open this fucking door and let me in! Or else I will -"

It worked. The door was now wide open. "What the fuck do you want, Mitch?"

That's when I noticed that his eyes were puffy and his cheeks were tear-stained. His hair was a mess as if he ran his hand through it numerous times, and his shoulders were hunched. On his bedside table was a bottle of whisky, half-full. When did he get that and how long has he been drinking? I entered his room without saying a word, sat down on his bed, rested my back against the headboard, and patted the space beside me. "Sit and spill. What happened and why are you crying?"

"Alex and I... b-broke up," he said, his voice cracking at the last two words.

"WHAT?!" I almost fell off the bed. It took a couple of seconds before I regained my composure. "Are you alright?"

"Would you be, if you were me?"

See, the alcohol made me stupid. I shouldn't have asked that question.

"But what happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it, Mitch. Besides, don't you have a guest to attend to?"

I wasn't ready to talk about my stupid mistake yet. "Don't change the subject," I retorted. Looking back, I now wonder why I didn't just tell him that I already kicked bad habit out.