XV | The Assembly

Comincia dall'inizio

Whispers among men broke loose as Merlin took a pause.

"Yes, the rumors you hear are not stories, but the truth. We tore the red eyed creature in half but it was still writhing it's way across. Your journey to the Kingdom of Alora might end with a sword impaling your chest, or even a... bloodcrawler munching over your corpse."

Another wave of chatters broke. Discussions among men filled the atmosphere once again.

"With that said, anybody who wishes to leave this venture may do so." Scanning across the crowd, Merlin did not see anyone who backed down. "No one?" Merlin grinned as he gave his best wishes towards them. There were more than a dozen of them.

"As you know, this journey is going to be tough. Thus, my faraway friend, Wynx, will be the leader of the group." Merlin opened his hand and pointed towards a fellow traveler. He seemed oddly familiar. A black cloak with a small sack, Wynx reminded Ken of the traveler he once met. Merlin's speech interrupted Ken's thoughts, "...with years of experience, he knows the fastest and safest way to Alora."

A brief introduction about the two other fellow travelers, Robin and Leo was given. Nobody seemed to really care since both of them were overshadowed by their leader, Wynx.

"That being said, you would need people to protect you as well. Lord Lennin, Sir Thorne, Sir Tobias, Sir Travis and Sir Kenneth will be accompanying for safety reasons." When Merlin mentioned Ken's name, his tone changed a little - not obvious for the crowd but recognizable by Ken himself. The Damask twins were a surprise to Ken. He did not expect them to volunteer to come along as they didn't seem to be that interested during the accolade.

"Harroson from Twiggers Town will be in charge of your food. He's the best cook in the wilds men have ever known."  Kenneth shifted his vision towards the man in green. His attire was the oddest among them as its color was green as nature, believed to be used to camouflage in the woods. Skinny yet with endless possibility, Ramsay doubted his ability but looked forward to eating his food at the same time.

Sniffing the smell of bakery, Merlin was reminded that two of Kenneth's companions were coming along. "Yes, and we have two street rats who will be joining as well." An insult yet spoken in a nonchalant way, the rests seemed to chuckle a little but welcomed them. 

"Listen up!" Ensuring that everyone was focused, Merlin announced, "As the King demands an answer from the Alorians as soon as possible, you are all granted a mount during your travel. Feel free to take whatever essentials you need as well, whether it be swords or armor. I want zero casualties if possible."

Pointing at one of his men, Merlin ordered, "You, show them the way. You may all be dismissed. Gather up at the Eastern Gate the next dawn."

Men began dispersing. Ken came across and avoided Lennin as soon as he saw him. Lord Lennin was emitting a cold aura towards others especially towards the green eyed knight. Few men followed the path towards the castle stables, including the Spine and Lord Lennin. 

It was a surprise for Ken, but Merlin took the opportunity to talk to him while they were strolling across the cobble path. "Kenny Venetian, may the Rogs protect you." 

Ken, couldn't comprehend whether it was sarcasm or not, replied the Spine with courtesy. However, Lennin's voice interrupted their conversation, "If he recalled the truth of Laydon's death and proven to be guilty, I won't hesitate to kill him, Sevi Merlin."

Merlin agreed with the lord, "Yes, put a sword through his heart and end him. Though I believe that merely a boy cannot kill Laydon, it does not prove him innocent."

Kenneth, listening to their interaction loud and clear, was conscious about the threats he would face in the future. Despite all of that, he knew he needed to know the truth. Of all the things he had remembered, living with a purpose and knowing the truth was one of them.

As the group of men approached nearer to the stables, suddenly their feet took them several steps back.

Neigh!

A sharp neigh of a horse soared the air as it lifted its majesty hooves towards the ruby sky. 

"What in the Rogs Hell?!" Men screamed as they saw the aggression of the bloody creature. It was the deathorse. Its appearance shook all of them as the knights scrambled their long swords out from their scabbard. Shring! Shring! The sound of metal scrapping filled the atmosphere, resembled their fear towards the bloody creature - the deathorse.

"Glaze!" Recognizing it was the deathorse he interacted before, Ken called out with not even a single tint of fear.

Neigh! 

The red eyed creature knocked several knights over as he struggled its way towards Ken. Lord Lennin, with both his hands holding his Amorian long sword was about to swing it towards the bloody deathorse, but he was knocked over by other knights.

Suddenly, the horse stopped being hostile. It halted right in front of Ken and started to lick his face.

"Oh it's... Glaze!"

The horse neighed in reply, livelier than ever.

Confused by what was seen, Merlin observed the horse carefully. The scars on its body was still fresh and its bloody red eyes were undeniably scary. The Spine then questioned, "Isn't this the deathorse? Why isn't it contained in the dungeon."

A reply from one of the red cloaks was given. "It had seemed to escape the dungeon, Sevi. Someone let it out."

Ignoring their conversation, Ken was too busy rubbing the deathorse's head. It was like a lovely reunion for him and the horse. Though it was fairly odd that the deathorse only took interest in Kenneth, he didn't think it was a peculiar matter.

"Take it down."

"No, Sevi Merlin. He's my horse." Ken, with his arms wide open, stood firmly in front of Glaze, protecting it like a war shield.

Merlin did not understand why Ken insisted on taking that cursed creature. However, his response towards Ken's decision was a surprise. "A dangerous yet cute move you made here. Very well, you can keep it. As long as it does not hurt anyone, you can do whatever you want."

Lennin was fumed with irritation as he protested, "What?! Sevi Merlin, this creature is not a pet! You cannot allow this. The King wouldn't ---"

"The King has no concern about the deathorse. It has been mild and lifeless since it has gotten here. In fact, this is the first time I had witnessed it actually moving by ---"

"The King will not allow this." Lennin insisted with a voice of a soaring dragon.

"Go ahead. Tell the King. Tell him, when he is in pain right now, searching for his beloved queen," Merlin challenged Lennin with his usual witty tone. "To the Rogs, I dare you, Lord Lennin."

With that, Kenneth Venetian was allowed to keep the deathorse as his mount. Ken reflected what had happened in confusion. He would have never thought of saying this to the Spine ever in his lifetime.

"Thank you... Sevi Merlin."