Chapter 47

The Outside

Part Two

Chapter 47

He crept along the wall carefully, pressing his back firmly into the stone material. His gloved hands slowly traced the carvings on the wall as he moved forward. He stopped above a window, waiting and listening intently. When he heard nothing, he leaped down onto the window sill and peaked into the house. The room he saw was as dark as the sky above him.

Slipping out a lockpick, he began to work at the window. Skillfully, he snapped it open and pushed the pane out of his way. He cautiously dropped into the room, landing on his haunches without a sound. He put the lockpick away and snuck through the room to the door, pressing an ear to the wood to listen. He focused on the voices he heard beyond, identifying them.

There were two - thankfully, only two. And he recognized both of them.

The accents came to his ears as he leaned back from the door and opened it easily. Light from the hallway flooded into his eyes, making him squint. He rubbed his narrow eyes and forced himself to continue through the house. His boots echoed on the floor as he arrived at the balcony railing at the top of the stairs.

Talking in the parlor was Bodil and his graduated pupil. Simon, who had been talking at the time by the door, stopped and looked up to the newcomer on the second level. His blue eyes were alert for only a second before he relaxed. Bodil turned after, looking over the other.

"Would it kill you to use the door?" The council member asked, crossing his arms as he leaned back on one foot.

The newcomer at the top of the stairs smirked from underneath his hood. "Actually, I'm afraid that there is a possibility that it would." He replied with muted humor. He headed down the steps to their level as he continued talking. "You know that Calamar has been watching the six of us like a hawk. The hair on the back of my neck always stands up whenever we try to have a conversation during the day. If it's not him watching, it's one of his goons."

Simon frowned. "Don't get me started on that." He said, rolling his eyes. "The guy's also dragging me and my team into his suspicions and we weren't even a part of it."

As the newcomer came to stand in front of them, taking on a relaxed stance, Bodil gave a grin. "You are right, though." He admitted. "We haven't been able to talk in a while. How are you, Ian?"

Ian sighed. "What do you think?" He countered. "I'm worried about the kids."

"And you think the rest of their mentors are not?"

"Of course they are!" Ian hissed before regaining himself. He sighed slowly. "Look, for a week, we've been just sitting here. In the meantime, Calamar has been throwing his weight around to get half of the teams out on search missions for Team 77."

Bodil pursed his lips. "I've been busy trying to clear up the situation with the rest of the community. If I saw several council members attacking a group of soldiers while one of the trainee teams makes a break for it, I'd be demanding an explanation too. You and the rest of the kids' mentors are laying low while I perform crowd control." He defended. "I've been lying through my teeth for days."

"Thankfully, you're a good liar," Simon muttered. The youngest of the three shook his head. "In any case, I get it. Team 77 has an entire army of bloodhounds after them."

"But there is nothing we can do without raising more suspicion," Bodil argued. "Calamar has everyone believing his schemes so that even the parents are on his side. Everyone thinks that he's just looking to bring the team back to the walls."