Chapter 18

I HAVE THE SNUFFLES. NO.  

The Outside

Part One

Chapter 18

Arc #3 - It Begins

'What would you think of the laboratory?'

The thought seemed to echo in his head. His mind drew a blank afterward and all throughout the rest of his training session. He was like a zombie, walking home to a quiet and empty house. His parents were both out and they wouldn't be back for hours. At least, that's what was planned. Sky dropped his bag down on the floor, not thinking about his normal routine of putting it on the table. He wasn't energized, he wasn't tired, and consistency didn't seem to be his top priority. A strange, unknown feeling fell over him.

He didn't have something to do. Or, he thought that was the problem.

Sky remained in the front entryway of the house, the front door just several feet behind him. It was shut tightly and he almost felt trapped. He could choose which way to roam now. Go right and end up in the kitchen, go left and end up in what should have been a living room but instead was used as a study and storage space, or continue walking forward and down the hall where the doors to his parents' room and his own lied. He found himself uncomfortably warm as he started forward. He pushed open his door and slipped into his room.

The black creature on his bed shifted at his entrance. The Ender Breed lazily moved its head to him and heaved a sigh, back rising at its breath. Sky looked over at it. "Did you sleep for the entire day?" He asked, not expecting it to respond. He was caught off guard when it did.

"Yes. I did, in fact." That damned voice; snide, gruff, and indifferent.

"Ooh, look!" Sky said, snapping quickly from his surprise and returning with the same scornful articulation. "It talked!" He hastily pulled off his jacket to get relief from the heat.

The creature didn't growl or glare. "Sassy..." It commented. Sky didn't respond as he tossed his jacket onto the dresser. He flopped onto his stomach on the bed, his necklace revealing itself from underneath his shirt and hanging in front of him, off the mattress. He looked at it, studying the way the sun shined into the amethyst and how the gem, in turn, turned the rays that got through to a rich and royal purple. The color hit the walls and floor, swaying back and forth. Sky breathed steadily through his nose and closed his eyes. He relaxed...

"You need to see something else." The creature broke the silence. Sky's eyes snapped open and darted to the other. He narrowed his eyes.

"No." He said, remembering Bodil's warning.

The creature got up and stood on the blankets. It was a whopping one and a half feet tall, Sky able to truly take in its appearance. It naturally hunched over and he guessed that it would have been closer to two feet if it straightened up. There was no nose pointing out of its head, just some gentle indent of flesh over the shape of a skull. It had the large, gaping mouth like all of the drawings in Sky's textbooks depicted and its body was thin; almost scrawny. The biggest part of it was probably its chest where the rib cage clearly expanded and compressed with life. Along the back, the spine poked out of the skin practically draped over it, creating bumps in a line at the upper back where sharp shoulder blades jutted out. It had no fur and if there were any reproductive parts on its body, Sky couldn't see. No ears, tail, fat, or muscle. It was a creepy, black walking skeleton. Its lower eyelid twitched.