Chapter 40

(The formatting is weird on this.  Grammarly and my computer did something weird.  I'm sorry.)

The Outside

Part Two

Chapter 40

Arc #5 - Judge Seto?!

Sky and Seto slipped back into the alcove their teammates were in. The two of them chose a dry spot on the bank and dropped their sticks, logs, and brush down at their feet.

"I'll start digging the hole. Bring the guys over so they can warm up." Seto said, kneeling down, rolling up his damp sleeves, and diving his hands into the sand. Sky headed over to the others, picking Mitch up by his arms first. He plopped the sleeping archer next to Seto before doing the same with Jordan.

He had a bit more trouble with Jerome since the tank had so much muscle mass. He managed to, finally, as Seto finished the hole and began putting in the beginning sticks.

In order to pull Jerome the final distance to the firepit, Sky gave one last heave. He was successful but at the cost of losing his grip and falling back on his butt. Already being by the fire that Seto was starting with magic, Sky didn't bother to stand. He crawled over as the flames took shape and stroked upwards.

Seto tossed more brush to the flames. "We need to dry everything out before the night chooses to get any colder." He unbuttoned his black vest as he spoke and slid his bag off his shoulder. The healer laid them out by the fire. He did the same with his undershirt, shoes, and socks. Sky followed suit, shivering from the wind and inching closer to the heat.

Then, the two of them looked to the sleeping three.

"They'll freeze if they don't get everything off too..." Seto muttered aloud, stating the obvious.

Sky swallowed. "This is going to be awkward." He replied, also stating the obvious.

"Holy crap!" The surprised voice yelled into the early morning air. It woke Sky from the peaceful quiet of sleep and he jumped awake. "Where are we?!"

The rogue looked around blearily, his heavy sleep still clinging to his shoulders like a toddler. He saw that he was in the same place he fell asleep, several yards from the river they all fell in and in front of a now dying fire. The valley looked different during the day. He glanced to his side where Mitch was sat upright and tense. Seto and Jordan were also jumped awake by the archer's outburst. Jerome hardly moved an inch, only grumbling about "five more minutes".

"Shh!" Seto hissed, almost out of instinct.

'Like a pro... Being the librarian's son can do that.'

In the bright light, Sky could see dark circles stamped below his eyes. They were gray and purple along the sides and black in the middle. If they had gone all the way around, the healer might have looked like he had two, matching black eyes. Or like a raccoon.

Mitch gazed at the scenery with the awe of a child. "Wow..." He muttered to himself, completely forgetting that his teammates were near. "So, that wasn't a dream. We really are in the outside."The same awestruck feeling came upon the rest of them, excluding Jerome who still managed to snore through Mitch's yell. Then, it was wiped away when Mitch's gaze trailed down to himself and his colleagues and he realized the only thing any of them were wearing was their pants. "Why are we shirtless?!"