Chapter 1

The Outside
Part One

Chapter 1

Arc #1 - Exposition

The light was dying as the sun grew too low to shine light over the wall. The land was already cooling down for the night, but many windows still shined with firelight. No one really slept until the sky above was black. When you came home from school, you studied and didn't stop until you had gouged your eyes out, regrown them, and did it again, ten times over. After all of the aching in your limbs from training, you'd make your mind mentally exhausted by drilling over math, science, chemistry, herbs, language, history, geography- the list went on.

There was no room for playing or messing around. When you were working, you didn't relax. When you were sleeping, you were memorizing facts about any and every subject. And that's what Sky was doing.

The end of his pen was slowly moving down each line in the textbook he was reading. It was finals month, not week, but month. That's how long it took for the students to take tests on that many subjects and there was no break in between. It was one subject on Monday, another on Tuesday, add one more to Wednesday, a separate one on Thursday and so on. There was no choice but to study and those that could keep up with it and still keep a level head... Props to them.

'Good job being perfect and not having to work as hard as everyone else.'

And by the perfect of the perfects, Sky meant the tops of every class. Those several cliques of friends. Seto, Mitch, Jerome, Jordan. Yeah, those guys. The ones that don't have to try. The ones that understand it within minutes. The ones that have natural talent. The ones that everyone wanted to be. It might as well be for the best that they already know each other and get along, for it's certain that they'll be teammates in the near future. A future that was coming a bit too quickly for Sky to like.

Anticipation was killing everyone right about now. He knew hardly anyone and barely spoke ever, something that was quite different from his personality that was meant to be bubbly and open. The stress of school, training, and the future had changed that. As he read with no facial expression, his eyes drooped and he fell asleep, sitting in the chair at his desk.

Being on a team was something he was coming to fear. He didn't want to be useless but he also dreaded talking with people he didn't know. However, the next day began to make him wonder.

It was lunch. He was tired and his brain was exhausted from his test. He was sitting alone at a table as he was going over math drills in his head, randomly writing equations down on a piece of paper, solving them, then checking twice. He had finished his food long before at the beginning of the period and now was just studying, like he always did. The whispers of several boys behind him got his attention, however, for they were terrible at being quiet.

"Mitch and Jerome are definitely going to be on a team together." One said. "They are like best friends." It was true, Mitch and Jerome were probably the closest out of anyone Sky had seen before.

"I hear that Seto is likely to be teamed with them as well. Their strength would match perfectly with his medical skills."

"Mitch is such a badass. He would completely dominate an entire troop if he had Jerome and Seto at his side."

"Mitch is still human, dude. He so would still need help."

"That's why he'd have Jerome to cover his back and Seto to heal either of them within a moment's notice."