Chapter 9

The Outside
Part One

Chapter 9

Arc #2 - Team 77

Suddenly, Ian had jumped towards him.

Sky caught the grimace of the soldier as he came closer. Ian drew he blades out from their sheaths, ready to slice down Sky's front. Sky shoved himself backward, crashing into the wall roughly. He coughed from the impact, air being pulled from his lungs. He looked back to Ian, seeing the soldier start his next move. Each time, the blade came closer and closer to his being, causing his heartbeat to skyrocket in speed.

Without any kind of weapon and in a closed area, Sky was at a staggering disadvantage. Ian's close combat weapons were used best in these small areas and the door that was currently shut, blocking Sky from any escape. There was no way to run but also no way to fight back.

'Is he actually trying to kill me?!'

Sky was worn out quickly with the constant dodging. He'd never fought an actual soldier before, only his peers when sparring, and Ian's speed not only surprised him but frightened him. Sky came to another wall, cornering himself. He tried to move before Ian could come near but the soldier was already on top of him and he was slammed into the wall. Ian's two blades stabbed into the sleeves of his shirt and to the wood behind him. Ian's hand held his throat and Sky took in a breath before his air was cut-off.

Even with how close they were to each other, Sky still couldn't see his mentor's face behind the shadow of his hood. He had the feeling of Ian glaring at him again and he grit his teeth. He braced for something to happen, tensing when Ian's fingers closed around his neck tighter. Then, the feeling was gone and oxygen filled his lungs. Sky watched Ian step back and grab his blades. They released Sky's wrists and his arms fell to his sides slowly. As Ian sheathed the weapons, Sky found himself gasping as he calmed down. Sky glanced at Ian and had to double check what he saw.

The soldier was smiling slightly.

'He's smiling?! How can he be smiling when he nearly choked me?!'

The air was now tense around Sky on top of being awkward but Ian's had changed too. Sky hardly noticed it at first until time dragged on again. It was more still; not buzzing with alertness. Ian was almost relaxed.

He stepped back more, giving Sky space. He turned around, his shadowed face slipping in a glance as he made his way to the door. "Come on. We've wasted time. I need to see what skill level you're at." He said, opening the door and beginning to leave. Still flustered, Sky hesitated and then scrambled to catch up. He followed Ian through the hallway and out the main door. Confused, Sky glanced around and back to the building. The school and training grounds were in the other direction.

Without turning around or being able to see Sky, Ian silenced the questions in his mind. "The training grounds are packed right now. It'd be no use to try and get anything done in there." He said, walking down the path towards the fields of grass and trees. "And you're not going to always have an arena to fight in. Beyond the wall, there are no arenas for fighting."

"That was kind of a given..." Sky said quietly.

Ian's smirk grew as he continued on. "Sarcasm, huh?" He asked.

Sky's face reddened as he looked at the ground. He mentally slapped himself for commenting out loud. Because of his failure to respond, the conversation abruptly ended and Sky grew nervous and uncomfortable again. However, this time Ian didn't say anything and Sky couldn't bring himself to revive it. He looked to the greenery around them, growing more common as they left the main stretch of buildings, each looking very similar to its neighbors.