Chapter 26

The Outside

Part One

Chapter 26

Arc #3 - It Begins

"UM." Sky said, panicking as he heard the noises. "Jordan, there are artificial mobs in here!" He warned.

"What?" Jordan's voice asked. "When did this happen?"

"Just now!" Sky replied. He backed up, hitting Jerome's back as the other backed up too.

Jordan was still confused. "How though?"

"We saw this array of weapons laid out!" Jerome explained. "So, we headed over there and each picked up one and this loud alarm went off! Now, THERE ARE MOBS!"

The other sighed almost before replying. "You have weapons now though, right? Go back to the wall and get the heck out of there!"

Sky nodded, being the first to move as he practically dragged Jerome back to the wall they previously were near. He could slightly feel Jerome stumbling behind him before the tank-in-training said something. "Jeez, Sky, chill!" He said, regaining his feet once Sky stopped against the wall. "Wow, you move fast." He said and Sky could have sworn he heard the other panting behind him.

"Sorry." Sky said as he turned around to face Jerome, his talisman's glow shining in the other's face. "I-I'll warn you next time?" He said, unsure.

A white, bony hand came up behind Jerome's head and Sky's eyes widened. He jumped forward. He used the weight of his body to push the other to the side as he struck his dagger through the hand of the skeleton. He twisted his wrist and broke apart the fragile bones as pieces clattered to the floor. Sky kept shoving the dagger's blade forward, piercing it through the neck and breaking the head off. The rest of the body fell on its own after that. The way the bones hit the floor seemed to resonate with a plastic ring, proving that these mobs were, indeed, artificial.

When Sky stood up straight again, holding the dagger at his side, Jerome pulled on his wrist. He looked over to find the other fighting a fake zombie that came up on their other side. Suddenly, Sky fell towards Jerome when his teammate raised both his arms to bring the axe in his hand down on the mob. The handcuffs caused Sky's wrist to go up with Jerome's and made Sky fall against the other's side. The action ended up shoving Jerome to the side and he missed the spot he was aiming for, the axe head digging itself into the zombie's collar bone instead of its skull. It growled out nonsense in agony, lunging for Jerome after the other pulled his axe free. Sky stabbed it through the eye in response, not really thinking about his actions.

"You can't pull me like that!" Sky said suddenly, glancing over at Jerome. The other regained his footing with a trudge in his step.

"I see that now." He replied, staring at the handcuffs with an irritated expression. "What do we do?"

Jordan's voice came back in. "You have to work together." He said, hearing their dilemma and putting the pieces together. "Our mentors did this on purpose!" He seemed to have an aha! moment.

"What do you mean?" Sky asked, slitting a coming zombie's neck but not before stumbling from Jerome pulling him again as the other dealt with his own mob.

"They put Mitch and Seto together! The two people who are better with range and not close fighting!" Jordan explained. "And they put Jerome and Sky together. The two that are better with close combat. But, that also puts you at a disadvantage because you're lacking in a vital position to fight and--!"

Jerome growled. "Yeah, yeah!" He said. "Stop rambling and get to the point! We're not able to just stand in a room like you!"

"O-oh..." Jordan replied, realizing that Jerome was right. "Well, Sky and Mitch are the agile ones. Jerome and Seto aren't." He said. "Just because you both fight in similar positions, your roles are vastly different. Like Sky, he moves at a much faster pace than Jerome would but Jerome as a much stronger body than him. If you don't work together, Jerome will make Sky off balance and Sky will keep tugging on Jerome!"