Chapter 16: Busy Bee

Start from the beginning

“A lot of people, meaning… Us, too?” she smiled hopefully.

The bell rang and we had to go down for the flag ceremony. She kept humming Owl City’s songs throughout the ceremony. I wouldn’t be surprised if next week, she’d show me a picture of the “OWL” and “CITY” shirts she told me about.

Ms. Tiu was unbelievably happy that day. She was spotted smiling a couple of times throughout the lesson. What could have caused this phenomenon? Whatever it was, we were all hoping that it was enough to convince her not to give us the usual Biology weekend homework.

“Alright, kids, for your weekend homework, turn to pages…” I zoned out.

“It’s gonna take a miracle for her to not give us weekend homework,” Nai said as Ms. Tiu left the room.

I looked over at Sunny. As usual, he didn’t seem bothered by the homework. Maybe he even liked these weekend homework. They keep him busy at home.

His weekends are going to be different. He’s gonna miss his mom. He’s gonna hate that he can’t visit her. There are all these possibilities in front of him. But at the same time, restrictions surround him.

He could sure use a weekend away from home.

Mr. Santos was as dynamic as always during Algebra. He’s probably the only teacher we have who wouldn’t hear complaints from us even after announcing we were gonna have a pop quiz. While handing out the test papers, he told us to do our best because the person who’ll get the highest score will get a big surprise from him next week.

“Did you do well?” Nairobi asked me after she put her Algebra notebook under her desk.

“I think I did okay. You?” I answered.

“I’m sure I passed,” she said cheerfully. “At least… I think I’m sure I passed.”

We walked together to the cafeteria. But I told her that I wasn’t hungry and there was something I had to do. So I saved her a table. As soon as she came back with her food, I left for the art gallery.

There were about a hundred paintings there. It took me a while to find mine. We’re allowed to take our paintings home after they’re graded. But most of us just leave it in the arts room for display.

Today, I decided to polish my work. If I was going to give it to someone special, it had to be special too. When I first worked on it, I worked on it for the credit. But this time, I was working on it so I could give it to a friend. Every stroke of my brush was for him.

I got so into my painting that I almost lost track of time. Thankfully, Nai sent me a text saying that class was about to start. So I put my painting aside and headed to our room.

This was it. Mr. de la Vega pulled us into a corner for the trial quiz bee. In the real quiz bee, it won’t be about who answers the fastest. The only thing we need to worry about is getting the answers right. Since we had to write the answer down, we had to mind our spelling, too. Only five seconds will be given for us to write down our answer to the easy questions, ten seconds for the average questions, and fifteen seconds for the difficult questions.