Chapter 8: Ain't That Sweet

This is yet to be edited.

After algebra, before we could go to the cafeteria for recess, Mr. de la Vega met us. Our class adviser, Ms. Flores, has been absent for a while. There were rumors spreading that she was pregnant and had a miscarriage. Whatever the reason was for her sudden disappearance, Mr. de la Vega had taken over her position as our adviser for the time being.

“Alright class, before you go downstairs for recess, I need to talk to you about the Nutrition Month celebration,” he announced. “The contests this year will be the Nutri Jingle, poster-making, essay-writing, quiz bee, and message relay.”

A lot of our classmates volunteered to join the Nutri Jingle contest. For the poster-making contest, Mr. de la Vega assigned Nico, one of the five boys in our class. For the essay-writing contest, Sunny would have joined, except that he won last year so he’s ineligible for this year. Mr. de la Vega had to choose someone else, Gwenevere. She was second to Sunny in our class ranking last year. Nairobi and I were eager to join the quiz bee. But we needed one more person in our team. We were about to ask Sunny to join us, we were sure that he would be glad to and he would be useful in our team. However, Mr. de la Vega suggested that Cairo join us. Sunny was put in the message relay instead.

“Let’s all do our best to become overall champions this year,” Mr. de la Vega said before he left.

Our classmates quickly followed Mr. de la Vega out the door. Nairobi and I stayed a little while longer inside the room.

“We were that close to having Super Genius on our team,” she said disappointedly. Her occasional nickname for Sunny is ‘Super Genius.’

“We’ll just have to deal without him. He wasn’t on our team last year, but hey, we won second place,” I said.

“Yes! Exactly! Just think, what if we had him on our team this year? We’d upgrade to first place.”

“C’mon, you’re underestimating us.”

“I just hope Cairo studies up for it and not spend all his time texting Fifer,” she said and then got up from her seat. “Well, my stomach’s grumbling. Let’s go to the cafeteria.”

When we got there, Nairobi ordered her usual morning snacks. I proceeded to save us a table. For the first time, I didn’t look for Cai. I knew who he’d be with, and I didn’t need that. Instead, I looked for Sunny. But I couldn’t find him.

“Aren’t you gonna eat anything?” Nai asked as she set her food on our table and sat in front of me.

“Not hungry,” I said, checking if Sunny really wasn’t in the cafeteria.

“So, who are we looking for?” she started looking around.

“No one.”

“If you say so,” she started eating her snacks.

“Do you have an idea where Sunny could be?”

“Aha!” she said victoriously.