Chapter 5: Irritatingly Charming

This is yet to be edited.

During the whole dinner, Cai kept trying to do small talk with me. For some reason, I didn’t want to talk to him. Well… Okay, I knew the reason. So, I like him. And I was having dinner with him and his family. I didn’t want something to slip from my mouth and embarrass myself.

“What do you want for dessert?” he casually asked me.

“Ice cream.”

“Chocolate?” he smiled.

“Yep.”

“Alright,” he said then turned to Hiram.

My mother was, of course, listening to us. So she nudged me and told me to be nice to Cairo. I said I was already being nice. Then she said I should try to be ‘nicer.’

When Mr. Ocampo asked what everyone wanted for dessert, I just kept quiet. I knew my mom would order ice cream for me. Plus, even if I said I wanted ice cream, no one would hear it over Hiram repeatedly saying ‘cake!’

“And for you, Dune?” Mr. Ocampo asked me.

“We’ll have chocolate ice cream,” Cai answered for me.

Mr. Ocampo nodded with a knowing smile, as if not only saying he understood but he also approved that Cai ordered for the both of us. I looked at Cai and he just smiled at me. I didn’t want to melt, so I looked away and doodled on the table cloth with my finger. Then my eyes wandered to my wristwatch, which showed me that it was almost 9:00.

“Have you done your Biology paper?” I asked Cai.

“Nope,” he said like he didn’t even care. “Have you?”

“Not yet. Mom said we’d be home early,” I held up my right arm to show him the time.

“That paper’s due tomorrow morning,” he said as he reached for his water.

“I know,” I said as he drank his water. “Why aren’t you worried? Ms. Tiu will get mad at us. It’s not everyday she lets people off the hook.”

“Referring to the way she let me off the hook this morning?” He smiled as he placed his glass back on the table. “I’ll let you in on a little secret,” he looked at me.

“What secret?”

“Ms. Tiu lives in the same building we do. She has this puppy, Bam-Bam. I guess she hasn’t potty trained him yet ‘cause he has a lot of ‘accidents’ around the building. This morning, my dad got a little surprise when he opened the door. Bam-Bam was peeing on the door, but since dad suddenly opened it, well… You get the picture. I guess Ms. Tiu was kind of embarrassed about it,” he chuckled.

I laughed a little, too. Who would have ever thought Ms. Tiu was a dog lover?