Chapter 31: A Moment Caught In Time

This is yet to be edited.

You know how, sometimes, you do something... and at the moment, it feels like it's the right thing to do? But then, after you do it, you immediately regret doing it... you start thinking about the alternatives, other things you could've done that would've had better results... Well, when I hugged Sunny back, that didn't happen.

At the back of my mind, while I was hugging him, there were some doubts. I didn't want things to get awkward. And you know what? Things didn't get awkward. Things actually got pretty comfortable. And you know what else? I realized that at the pool party, he held my hand when we were heading to the pool.

And I didn't object. Or anything. I let him hold my hand. And I didn't even realize it until way afterwards because... well, it didn't feel wrong. I was just that comfortable with Sunny. And it feels nice. I haven't felt this comfortable with a boy since...

Well, you already know. He's the guy who's making paper roses with our other classmates backstage. It's been three weeks since the pool party. Now everyone's gotten over the Nutrition Month celebration and preparing for the play and reviewing for the exams.

I haven't got much to do now that the costumes have been arranged. Today's rehearsals are gonna be cut short so that our classmates could go to Caitlin's Closet for a fitting. I'm glad I'll get to see Mr. Cruz again. The thought of him brings back the memory of the time Cai brought me there. And a smile grows on my face. You look... the way you always look... beautiful.

“My lady,” I was snapped out of my thoughts by, who else, the guy I was thinking about. He bowed in front of me like a prince. Great. He just always knows what to do and what to say and with perfect timing. I couldn't help but smile, though. He laid on the accent thick.

“Did someone steal your royal clothes, dear prince?” I played along.

“On the contrary, I stole you a rose,” he held out the hand he'd been hiding behind his back and presented me with a paper rose. The gesture instantly made me smile. I took the paper rose from him and, as if that was his way of asking and my way of permitting, he sat beside me on the long wooden table. “And, I'd actually prefer to be a knight in shining armor.”

“You're saying you'd rather be a knight than a prince?” I asked as I looked at the paper rose.

“You heard it right,” he said, complete with that infectious smile of his.

“And why is that?”

“Well, I guess... there's just something about... fighting for the ones you love, you know?” he looked me in the eyes, like he wanted me to know he meant it. But I wasn't sure what he meant.

“Hi guys,” I suddenly heard an all too familiar voice speak and I had to break my eye contact with Cai. It was only then that I realized I was able to hold eye contact with him. “It's time to go to the fitting,” Sunny said with a smile.

Somehow, somewhere inside me I wished I had more time to talk to Cai. Everyone's just been busy. Gwenevere's been on Sunny and Nai's tails for a while now. She's making sure her two leading stars are gonna rock the show. I think Sunny's handling it pretty well. He handles almost everything pretty well. Nai's been struggling, though. I don't know if she's been able to put down her script and pick up her textbooks. Then there's the fact that we haven't gone to see Miguel in a month or so. Although, according to her, they talk every night. And now they're Facebook friends.

I've started thinking that maybe it would have been more fun if I was put in charge of props. And it is definitely not because Cai was also in charge of props. Nope, that's not it. Really. It's just that I see them, Cai, Jael, and a few others, working together. They just seem to be having loads of fun putting materials together and painting the props. They've really taken advantage of the fact that Gwenevere's had little to no time to supervise them. They'll probably finish all the props two days or three before the show. So, they have something relevant to do for the next couple of days of rehearsals, unlike me. I've just been loitering around. The first couple of rehearsals, it was fun just watching. But now, Gwenevere makes everyone repeat every scene about four or five times. And that gets tiring to watch.