Chapter-25: Only Him

|| Arabella ||

The silence in the car was suffocating.

Wyatt decided to walk Coral home on foot after our dinner at McDonald's, leaving me and Theo to drive home alone.

I didn't know why it was so awkward, but it seemed like Theo had a lot going on in his head. Not to mention, he had seemed bothered ever since I agreed to go on the date with Jack.

Ah, the date with Jack. My worst date ever.

No, not because he was bad. He was nice. Maybe the flowers were a bit... Well, let's not go there.

Though he was good, I couldn't help but feel guilty towards him because my attention was fully on Theo. And it felt morally wrong to go on a date with someone else when I have a particular guy in mind.

Maybe a part of me wanted to prove what Wyatt said to me wrong. But a bigger part of me wanted to confirm my feelings.

The bottom line was, I wasn't interested in other guys at all, and Theo was the only person I had in mind.

I laughed at Jack's stories, all the while thinking about Theo. I even swatted his hand away, realizing that I would only let Theo hold my hand like that.

Maybe... just maybe... that I—

"Ara," Theo called out softly, and I turned to look at him for the first time since I got into the car. "Um, can we talk?"

For no particular reason at all, my heartbeat quickened. "Sure."

He parked the car at the side of the park near our block and shifted on his seat to face me. The determined look in his eyes made me want to look away, but I was enraptured by its intensity.

"I have thought about it a lot, and I have decided that there's something I have to tell you."

God, my heart was beating so fast it could jump right out of my chest. "Okay..."

I held my breath as he didn't break eye contact and started to say, "I—" when my phone rang up. "Fuck," he cursed and looked away, burying his head in the steering wheel.

I had never felt more enraged towards a phone call than now. Gritting my teeth, I took my phone out of my purse to find it was a call from my cousin Mandy.

What the hell does she want?

Procrastinating under my breath, I received the call. "Hello?"

"Hello, Ara! Where are you right now?" Mandy asked desperately. She sounded like she was crying.

"I'm somewhere still alive. Why?"

"You know Mom has hemophilia, right? She fell down the stairs this evening, and her bleeding isn't stopping. They don't have AB negative blood in the book bank," Mandy sobbed.

After almost three months, she called me for this?

"So you need me for the blood transfusion?" I asked, which made Theo raise his head and give me a questioning look.

"Yes, yes, can you please come now?"

Even though my aunt and my cousins put me through a lot, they still let me stay with them and I wasn't taught to be ungrateful. "Yeah, okay. I'm coming. Which hospital?"

After she told me the hospital name, I hung up the call and told Theo about it.

"Karma really is a bitch, huh," he commented as he started to drive. "They kicked you out on the streets first, and now they beg you to help."