{14} The Future

When Michael entered his childhood home with Celeste's hand tight in his grasp, a faint smile hung on his lips. They were both instantly greeted by the youngest Jacksons that stood before them as they all shared loving embraces.

Soon, they were all gathered in the living room area before they began speaking about their plans for the day. Michael cleared his throat, preparing to speak his next words. "Janet, you better not torture Celeste on your day out with her." His statement caused laughter to sound, Celeste's being some of the loudest.

"Torture?" Janet echoed, feigning shock. "I would never."

Celeste allowed herself to giggle once more. "I know," she stated. "You're like the little sister I've always wanted."

"Yeah," Michael snickered. "Instead, I'm stuck with her." He earned an eye-roll from Janet. "Where are you guys going, anyway?"

Janet beamed in her excitement. "The Café down the street," she informed him. "Nothing too big, and I thought it was something we could both easily agree on."

Michael nodded understandingly. "Randy and I are probably just going to stay here and fool around with some music." Looking over, he saw Celeste light up. "What?" he asked, his shyness at an all-time high because of his siblings' gazes piercing through him.

"Nothing," Celeste insisted as she shook her head. "You're just so adorable when you talk about music."

Michael felt his cheeks heat up as he tucked on Celeste's arm slightly. "I guess it's just my favorite thing."

"Besides Ms. Woods, of course," Janet added, giggling at the rosy red color of Michael's cheeks.

"Janet, stop," Randy finally said. "He looks like he held his breath for one too many seconds at his red he's turning," he chucked.

Celeste sensed Michael's embarrassment from the squeeze he'd given her hand. She gave him a reassuring look before standing up. "Well, Janet, we should get going, don't you think?"

"Finally!" Janet exclaimed, standing up from her seat on the couch. She followed Celeste towards the front door. "Bye, you guys!"

Michael quickly stood up as he practically ran towards the door, using Celeste's hand to turn her around gently. He placed an affectionate kiss upon her lips, almost forgetting that Janet was there, but soon remembering as she cleared her throat in a loud manner.

When they pulled away, Michael smiled at Celeste. "You almost left without that."

"The disaster that would've been," Celeste joked, causing Michael to laugh lightheartedly.

"Be safe, okay?" Michael told her seriously. "Both of you."

Janet rolled her eyes impatiently. "We will!" she assured him. "Now, can we please go?"

Michael laughed at Janet's eagerness. "Yes, go ahead."

Janet grabbed Celeste's hand, practically dragging her out of the house. Celeste barely managed to give Michael an "I love you" before she was on the other side of the door.

Turning around, Michael walked back to the living room area. He saw that Randy had begun playing the piano that was in the corner. "Oh, wow," he began. "Randy, that piano groove is amazing." He then took a seat next to Randy at the piano.

"Oh, it's nothing," Randy insisted. "I just thought of it."

"Don't say that," Michael said firmly. "It is something."

As he started moving his head to Randy's playing, lyrics started falling from Michael's lips. "I don't know what's gonna happen to you, baby," he sang. "But, I do know that I love ya'." He smiled to himself. "You walk around this town with your head all up in the sky, and I do know that I want ya'."

"Let's dance, let's shout," Randy added. "Shake your body down to the ground." They continued singing as they bounced lyrics off of each other, feeling the force of excitement rush through them.

They gave each other a brotherly embrace after finishing. "Did we just...?" Michael trailed off in disbelief and amazement.

"Write a hell of a good song," Randy finished for him. "Damn right, we did!" They shared a few more moments of excitement before Randy looked solemnly at Michael. "So, Mike...you really love Celeste a lot, don't you?"

"With everything that I am," Michael told him honestly. "I...I want to marry her someday." Randy's mouth hung open, causing Michael to chuckle lightly. "I'm serious."

Randy smiled at his older brother in admiration. "Well, good for you, Mike! That's amazing."

Michael let himself drift off into the imagination of him and Celeste having an eternal symbol of their love for each other on their very fingers. A smile made its way across his face, and it wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

***

The Waitress that served Celeste and Janet took their menus as she gently placed their beverages down. After smiling at her graciously in thanks, they tested the temperatures of their drinks with a quick sip.

Celeste put her mug down, smiling slightly at Janet. "So, how have you been, girl?" she asked politely.

"Good!" Janet answered, enthusiasm strong in her tone. "Now, the real question is, how have you been?" She smirked.

Celeste giggled. "Good," she replied. "Better than good. Amazing." She then stared dreamily off into the distance. "Your brother's honestly the best."

Janet smiled brightly as she took a bite of her muffin. She finished before speaking. "He better be treating you well."

"He is," Celeste assured her, chucking at her genuine concern. "Always." Taking another sip of her beverage, she noticed that Janet's eyes remained on her. "What is it?"

"I just know that you're going to become my sister-in-law soon," Janet told her. "It's only a matter of time."

Celeste's smile grew at her words. "I hope so." Janet beamed. "I mean, it's really early to be thinking about marriage, but...he's it for me. I know it."

Janet smirked once again, feeling joy in her heart at Celeste's evident happiness. "Thank you for coming into his life. We were all so worried about him, but you saved him."

"Please, it wasn't me," Celeste insisted. "He was strong enough to overcome his hardships. I only guided him."

"Same, difference," Janet remarked sarcastically. "But honestly, thank you for giving me my brother back."

Celeste leaned over to embrace Janet warmly. She felt an overwhelming amount of love fill her entire being at what'd been said. "Of course."

They finished up the rest of their outing, which was full of nothing but more continuous conversations about the recent updates in their lives. There were many moments where Celeste would allow herself to slip away from reality, imagining what the future held for her and Michael.

***

What is that ending hinting to? Looool. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter full of family time! I love you all so much, and as always, thank you for reading!