{12} The Jacksons

Relief.

That's the feeling that was going through Michael's entire body as he and Celeste walked up to his childhood bedroom. He'd arrived at his parents' house moments before, and they soon ascended the stairs of the house.

Before turning the knob, Celeste gave Michael a look of encouragement. "You ready?" her soft voice asked.

Michael nodded. "I am," he confirmed. With that, he carefully opened the door, revealing all of his belongings from so many years ago.

He observed all of the room's containments, flashbacks flooding his mind quickly. Walking over to the bed, Michael sat down slowly as Celeste did the same. Nostalgia washed over him quickly as his eyes continued scanning the room.

Celeste looked over at Michael, holding his hand tightly in hers. Concern was what she was feeling in that moment. "How is it?" she questioned gently.

"It's good," Michael answered. "Better than what I expected." He paused, taking a deep breath. "I haven't been in here since I moved out."

"Did you ever get...?" Celeste trailed off, obviously not wanting to finish the sentence for Michael's sake. He knew that she was referring to the abuse before giving her a nod. "I'm so sorry," she said quietly.

"It's okay," Michael assured her softly. "I've received enough help to now reflect on my past without experiencing the same pain."

Celeste sighed as she released her hand from Michael's grasp to gently rub his thigh. "I know," she stated. "I can just never be too careful."

Michael started to wrap his arm around Celeste as she allowed her head to rest on his shoulder. He stroked her hair lightly while they continued sitting on the edge of the bed. "I appreciate that so much," he told her. "But don't feel the constant need to always worry about me, okay?"

"Okay," Celeste breathed, continuing to relax on his shoulder. "It's just an instinct." She took in his peaceful and comforting scent as he ran his fingers through her hair. As they relaxed there together, Michael felt pure joy as he looked down at who was resting in his arms. A never-ending smile was glued to his face as he used his hand to gently rub Celeste's arm.

Suddenly, Katherine's voice sounded from downstairs. "You guys, your father and the rest of your siblings are here!" she announced, her tone full of excitement at all of her children under one roof.

With that, Michael carefully lifted Celeste's head from his shoulder as they walked out of the bedroom to descend the stairs before being greeted with the rest of Michael's family.

Everyone was soon called to the dining table for the dinner that Katherine had prepared. Many of the Jacksons' voices were being sounded in the dining room as they all started to catch up with each other.

Michael's older brother, Marlon, began speaking, clearing his throat before doing so. "So, Mike, how's life treating you, man?" he asked kindly before shoving a fork full of food into his mouth.

"Real good," Michael responded truthfully, meaning the words honestly. "There's no way it could get any better with her by my side." He reached for Celeste's hand, entwining it with his to show it off.

Marlon gazed at Celeste, observing her carefully. "Ah, this is the girl. You could've mentioned more of her beauty," he said, throwing Celeste a playful wink. Michael felt a slight twitch of jealousy make itself known within him as he continued witnessing Marlon's flirtation actions with her.

"Don't you have a wife and a son at home?" Randy asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Plus, I already called dibs—"

"You do realize that she's my girlfriend, right?" Michael snapped suddenly, pulling Celeste closer to him for emphasis. She tugged on his arm slightly, signaling for him to remain calm as she searched for his gaze.

Tito finished his bite of food before proceeding to speak. "On a lighter topic, haven't you been working on music, Mike?"

Michael looked over to where Katherine was sitting, realizing that she'd told him that piece of information. "Mother..." he trailed off as he felt his cheeks getting hotter.

"I'm sorry!" Katherine squealed, smiling. "But, I'm just so proud of you that I might of let it slip to a few of them."

Within the next few moments, everyone started a conversation on what'd been said. Michael gave many shy smiles as his siblings looked at him with admiration. When their talking halted, Michael cast his gaze down quickly as he spoke. "Yes, it's true," he admitted. "I've written a couple of songs." His statement caused all of their faces to reveal their excitement.

"Music, eh?" Joseph commented, sitting next to Katherine.

Michael giggled shyly. "Yes, sir," he answered. "It's one of the few things that's been able to bring me true happiness." He paused, taking a quick sip of his beverage. "It's mainly just something that I do for myself, really. I doubt that it'll go far."

"Don't say that," Celeste said firmly, squeezing his hand. He looked over to see the serious look in her eye. "Never say that, please. It's amazing, Michael. You have to know that."

Michael gave her a small smile in thanks as they continued finishing their meal. Joseph observed the loving actions they shared throughout the rest of the visiting, feeling a sense of pride and joy for his son.

After Michael and Celeste bid everyone farewell, Joseph tapped his shoulder while he was talking to one of his siblings. He walked him over to an area to speak with him privately.

"I brought you over here to tell you that I'm proud of you, Michael," Joseph stated honestly, putting a firm yet comforting hand on his shoulder. "What you've got going with your music is great, and you keep at it." Michael gave a genuine smile, his heart full of the many emotions he felt. "Also, your girl, Celeste...she's a keeper. Don't let her go, and although my mistakes were awful, take them and learn from them."

Feeling a sense of relief at Joseph's words, Michael's lips curled into a wide smile. The feeling of pure happiness towards his father wouldn't give up. "Thank you, Joseph," he said sincerely. "I really appreciate that." He then leaned in to embrace him, hesitating at first. "Is this okay?"

Joseph nodded with a smile. He embraced his son tightly, patting Michael's back lightly. They were interrupted by Celeste slightly tapping on Michael's shoulder, which caused him to break away from Joseph.

"Ready to go?" Celeste asked him, taking his hands in hers as he turned around to face her.

"Yeah," Michael said, giving her a small smile. He turned slightly to give Joseph a respectful nod. "Thank you for speaking with me, Joseph." He earned a quick wink with a smile from his father before the two headed out of the house.

Michael's heart became lighter with each step that he and Celeste took. With each passing moment, Michael knew that the events leading to what'd recently been occurring would only lead to his heart being completely healed.

***

Whew! I'm so glad that I was able to get something up for you guys! Sorry if it seems rushed or anything, but I hope you enjoyed it, nevertheless. Thank you for reading, and as always, I love you all!