Prologue

A cold layer of sweat glazed Michael's forehead as his gaze cast down on his fidgeting hands. Words failed him at this moment, just at the mention of his name.

The chair across Michael seated Celeste Woods. "Michael, I'm gonna ask you one more time, did your father ever cause you any form of abuse? Take your time, whenever you're ready."

Michael's therapist's words left him completely and utterly speechless, but somehow he managed to spat the word out. "Yes," Michael finally admitted, rubbing his hand across his forehead.

Celeste noticed that Michael's breathing was becoming heavier the more questions that were being asked. "Listen, it's okay, this is a safe place," Celeste reassured him. "Just calm down, use those breathing techniques I showed you last session."

Michael began taking in and releasing his breath for several moments until he felt that he was able to continue. "The answer to your question is yes."

Grabbing her notepad and pen, Celeste began writing everything Michael was informing her of. "How did your father abuse you?" she asked softly.

"Many different ways," Michael answered, his vision becoming slightly clouded. "Physically, mentally, and verbally. The list goes on."

"How do you think those different forms of abuse have impacted you?" Celeste inquired, writing everything of what Michael was informing her of.

Michael's lips twisted as he held back a grimace. "As you just saw, I get very bad anxiety at the mention of my father," Michael informed her. "I remember one night, I had a nightmare about an encounter I had with him when I was real little."

"Can you recall any of the dream?" Celeste questioned, compassion shining through her brown gaze.

"I'll try to tell you all of what I remember," Michael breathed, running a hand through his hair.

The scene of the previous night's dream re-entered Michael's mind as he began recalling the events that his dream brought. His commands, Michael's protests, the pain. Michael's gaze became fully blurred as he began reliving the tragedy again. Celeste quickly got up, walking to Michael as she let him fall into her arms.

Keeping Michael going was the constant reminder that everything was going to get better. However, that time wasn't going to be here anytime soon.

***

There you have it! Your first taste of Pins & Needles! I know everything seems very heavy right now, but it'll lighten up. I hope you all are as excited as I am to embark on this new story! I love you all so very much! Stay tuned!