Chapter 30: Favorite Day

Mike arrived 5 minutes before 5pm.

"Lytes, Mike's here!" Mama knocked on my door.

"Yes, Ma. I'll be downstairs in a bit." I answered. I made a final check of myself at the full body mirror in my walk-in closet. I grabbed my black sling bag.

When I reached the living area, Mike was seated at the couch beside Mama. He stood up as soon as he saw me and smiled. I returned the gesture.

Papa was just coming in from the kitchen, eating a banana. "You guys are going on a dinner date?" I froze at Papa's question. "Isn't it usually Fridays that you, Ska, and Driggs go out?"

"Pa, they were in Japan remember?" Mama reminded him. Mike and I weren't able to answer and we didn't bother since my parents figured it out anyway.

"Ah, okay. Well, enjoy your dinner. Regards to the rest of the "squad"," Papa emphasized the word squad with air quotes.

My parents already knew that we're going on a date but they acted oblivious to it.

"We'll get going now, Ma, Pa." I bid my parents goodbye and so did Mike. Mama and Papa watched us leave from the front door.

Mike opened the passenger door of his car for me. I buckled up as he took the driver seat. I had no idea where we're going and if I'm aptly dressed. I hoped Mike won't take me to a fine dining restaurant. His presence alone is already making me nervous and rigid. I wished to dine in a relaxed ambiance so I can be more of myself.

Based on Mike's attire - khaki pants, white rubber shoes, plain white v-neck shirt, and surprisingly, a dark blue bomber jacket – were unlikely to go to a high-end restaurant.

We have been silent for a long time now. I decided to break the ice. "So, where are we going?"

"An officemate told me about a new restaurant in Capitol Commons. We're having ramen," he glanced my way when he said ramen.

"What? You know I just got back from Japan and you're treating me to a ramen place? Even though I love Japanese food, I would like to eat something different. If I had known where you're taking me, I should've just stayed home." I crossed my arm and pouted.

"Hahaha! I'm just kidding!" He patted my arm and lightly pinched my cheek. I felt an electric current heat up my face. I smiled instantaneously.

"It's a new restaurant in Kapitolyo owned by my officemate's Uncle. They've been open for two weeks already. They serve western cuisine."

"I hope I dressed up appropriately."

"You did!" He was looking at me. "You look great," he immediately turned his eyes on the road after that comment. I saw a shy smile on his face. This made me blush, again. Ska's right, I don't need a blush-on.

During the drive to Estelle's Abode, Mike shared that the restaurant was the house of his officemate's great grandmother. His Uncle had converted it to a business establishment but kept the majority of its architecture. It was an old Spanish-style house with upgrades done particularly the lighting.

Jake, Mike's officemate, welcomed us and Mike made the introductions. We were somewhat expected to arrive. Jake had informed his Uncle of our dinner plans. His Uncle Franco came up to us and did a quick tour.

It was a huge venue. But as soon as you enter, you'd feel the homey aura, like you're visiting grandmother on a weekend to taste her cooking. It was impressive to see that the tables are private. They have an area for family get-togethers or big assemblies, then for smaller parties, and intimate duos.