Chapter 22: Boys and Basketball

With just a week until summer officially kicks in, the Homeowners Association announced the upcoming basketball open. Players of the participating teams must be registered residents of Don Juan 1 and 2, and from Doña Juana 1 and 2. There will be two divisions: teens (aged 12-16) and adults, with 10 teams for each bracket. The teens' division will play 3-on-3, and the adults contend on the full court. Two games will be played every weekend.

Mike had employed both of my brothers for their 12-man team. Dy and Don were ecstatic. Ever since the day they learned how to play ball, both had been participating in every basketball tourney at our old neighborhood and in school. So it was an instant "yes" when Mike offered them a playing spot.

Papa was also delighted when Don told him about it. Too bad though that a coach had already been identified. Not wanting to settle as just a spectator when his boys are part of a basketball team, Papa volunteered to be the Team Manager. The players gladly welcomed his proposition.

I was away for the whole week on a training assignment in Davao and was uninformed about these developments. I came home straight from the airport on Friday night to find my parking space occupied with a handful of scooter bikes. I got a bit pissed that I had to park my car by the sidewalk. I shook my head and thought, Tsk...it's my brothers' game night.

When I opened the door, I was welcomed with male domination in the living room. Guys who towered over me had loitered in the living area. They turned their heads at me the moment I stepped in.

I was taken aback when I entered the house with a dozen pairs of eyes staring, "Whoa! What is happening?" I turned to the first familiar face in this crowd with a questioning look, Papa.

"Lytes," Papa came up to me with a hug and took the shopping bag I carried. He explained, "These are Dy and Don's teammates. They're joining the basketball tournament next week. We just received their jersey and they're trying it out."

"Hi!" They chorused.

"Ah...okay. That explains why there are a lot of motorcycles outside," I nodded to acknowledge who our guests were.

"This is Lytes, my eldest and my only girl," Papa pulled me closer to him, beaming. He introduced the members of the team. I extended a hand and smiled to each one of them.

"Mine fits right," someone said. Mike got out of the washroom and walked towards us, wearing his jersey.

"Mike! You're here? You're part of the Team?" I could see his beefed up upper arm, the jersey was truly fitting. Hmmmm...he's got muscles now.

"Lytes! Yes, I am," he answered, all smiles. You look ridiculous...but cute!

Dy followed thru, "He is actually the one who approached Don and I to join their Team."

One of the players, the name I couldn't remember, said, "And your Papa is our Team Manager."

"Oh wow, Pa! Congrats on your new career - managing a basketball team!" Excitedly, I held his hand and shook it. I grinned teasingly at him.

He ruffled my hair, "Silly girl!"

The boys were busy trying on their basketball uniforms when Mama and Don breezed in with snacks. They joyously hollered for the food. I greeted and hugged Mama.

"Have you had dinner, Dear?" She asked.

"I'm still full, Ma. I had a heavy meal before I boarded. By the way, I bought some delicacies, souvenirs and shirts. It's in that shopping bag Pa's holding." I informed her.

"Alright," Mama released me from her half embrace.

"I'm going upstairs now to change and rest," I said and stepped away from her.