Chapter 14: Reminders

Every other Wednesday, I hold an early morning team meeting with my subordinates. I have been accustomed to treat them to coffee, thus I leave the house 30 minutes earlier than the usual since I have to drop by the coffee shop near the office. On my way to work, I messaged my team in our group chat asking for their coffee preferences.

I got to the coffee shop and lined up. There aren't many customers yet and I was third in line. I was busy with my phone while waiting for my turn. This morning when I woke up, I saw Anthony's missed call. Because I fell sound asleep last night, I wasn't able to work on my message for him. I still don't have one now.

My day started with interacting with my team via our group chat - messaging their excitement about the food they'd share to complement their free coffee. Driggs checked up on me early as well. He's back from Subic and kept bugging me to meet up after work so he and Kat can give the souvenir and delicacies they bought for me.

It was now my turn at the cashier. I'm a regular here so Jackie already knew what my coffee drink is. I placed the other 5 orders, pointing out the specific request for each. We had a short chat and after paying, I stood at the side where the condiments were.  

While on stand-by for my order, I started typing my message for Anthony:

"Hi. I'm sorry about yesterday and for missing your call again last night. I was too tired when I got home. It's my first day back at the office so my workload's doubled. I'm sorry if I offended you about making adjustments. I know you are doing your part. This time difference sucks! I don't get to react to your messages real-time. And you know that I prefer talking face-to-face than chatting. I also don't want us to keep missing each other's call. I'm serious when I said that I'd block off a time in my day just so we can talk. Do you prefer your morning? Or your lunch time? I just can't do your end of day because that's past midnight. Let me know, Babe. I will wait for your reply".

I hit send. I don't expect him to respond yet but I hope he does when he reads it.

Coffee patrons started to rush in and the shop had started to get busy. I was checking my emails from my phone when I heard the barista announce: "Hot, grande cappuccino for Mike!"

I jerked my head up when I heard the name. I panicked in anticipation. My eyes searched the shop for Mike. The order was announced a second time. Then a guy approached the counter to get the drink. He may be as tall as Mike but he is definitely not the Mike I know. I was relieved. After another order was served, it was my turn. Cesar, another barista who had known me as a regular, helped arrange the drinks in a take-out container. I thanked him and went my way.

"Miss, would you want to join us for lunch?" Leo's head was sticking in at my office door. I didn't hear his soft knock so I was surprised when he asked.

"You startled me!" I said amusingly. "Come in".

"Sorry Miss! We're having ramen because Grace is using her discount voucher," Leo explained. "Would you like to join us?"

"Okay, I'm in. Just give me 5 minutes I need to wrap this up."

Lunch was going well and we were enjoying our ramen. Each was focused on our food and we're chatting minimally. I got distracted from eating when I caught sight of a familiar shirt from the far end of the restaurant. Actually, it was the logo on the shirt that I very well recognize. I cannot be mistaken because I designed it. Back when I was still working at the bank with Mike, our Department Head gathered our input for the logo of our team shirt. I proposed a design for both the front and back of the shirt. Mine was picked and was imprinted on the team jersey we used during the annual sports fest.