Chapter 5: Hidden Meaning

Because I woke up late, breakfast was now brunch. I told Mama that Driggs and I would eat outside, by the mini-garden. I told her that we have something to discuss, and she gets it.

"Why? What has been happening to the two of you?" He asked as he settled our food on the table. I put down our glasses and the pitcher of orange juice.

"I think something has changed since he learned that I couldn't go with him to London," I sat down opposite Driggs.

"It wasn't easy for me to get a visa on a short notice. Actually, it wasn't easy to file a long leave on a short notice. Plus he knows that we are moving this month. So I have that and my job."

"You knew he was going, right?"

"Yeah, but at that time nothing was really confirmed. His boss told him that he wanted for him to attend the wine festival so he gets the international exposure. Next thing he knew, he was included in the list of attendees."

"How come he's staying there for 10 days?"

"Technically it's not 10 days. It's a week-long wine festival plus, say 2 days air travel to and from London. The remaining days will be his vacation leave."

"Wow! Mixing work with pleasure?!"

"That's the thing, Anthony was suddenly obsessed with the idea of 'seizing the moment'. So he started to pitch it to his boss if they can spend an extra day or two and explore London."

"And his boss approved?"

"Not instantly. He had to work for it. He was required to create an employee engagement plan in a week. Days after he submitted it, his leave was approved."

"Good job to him!"

"And then he started to include me in his plans. I was happy. It was flattering. I mean, come on, London?"

"But of course, knowing you, you wouldn't jump into it."

"I have to snap back to reality. I have two rosters to train. Dy and I had finalized the transfer to our new house. And I do not have any extra money for an expensive trip."

"So you're having fights about it?"

"Yes. Like almost every other day. He said I should not worry about the airfare and accommodations. He'll take care of it. All he wanted for me to do is to secure the visa and have my leave approved."

"Did you?"

"I did what he suggests..." I paused and corrected myself. "...tells me to do, but it's just wrong timing really."

"And how did I get into the picture?"

"Remember 2 months ago we went to Sagada with our high school friends? And four weeks ago, we're at Pampanga for Chris' birthday? "

"Yeah. What about those out-of-town trips? I recall you invited him on both."

"Well, he feels that if I'm going with you - I find time, exert effort, I enjoy. I have explained that those were vacation with friends. And those are domestic trips, it's easier to plan them out. And hello? Visas for UK should be applied months before the trip. His was expedited because their company sponsored it."

"Maybe...he feels that you're spending too much time with your friends?" he asked hesitatingly.

"Oh come on! The last time I went with you guys was almost a month ago. I even declined last Friday's videoke because of him. He's become jealous of who I spend my time with...like everyone, not just you"

"And you felt that his text was a goodbye message because...?"

"We were really okay the whole week. We weren't fighting. We enjoyed everything that we did. But all that time had a "Last Supper" effect. I don't know why". I was staring at my plate when I said, "It's like those sweet things, sweet gestures he made for me...he has not done that before". I paused and added, "And he may not do it again."