Chapter 19: The Ex-Boyfriend

When our order arrived, we couldn't contain our hunger anymore and spent a good five minutes of just minding our own food. We were all famished and I for one had to regain my appetite. I had been emotionally spent for some hours now, I must physically recharge.

To break the ice, Ska urged Mike to tell his story. We have all moved to the small table - Ska and I on the couch, Mike on the solo-seater, and Driggs pulled out the desk chair.

"Lytes, remember Anna?" Mike asked, still chewing his food.

"Of course! She had a huge crush on you back then. Oh my gosh! Don't tell me you two got together?!" My eyes widened and mouth gaped open.

"Hahaha! Not her...but her cousin, Phoebe. She always picked up Anna from work because they car-pool." Mike answered.

I tried to recall how Phoebe looked. "Ooh...she's cute, baby-faced girl. She was Anna's plus one whenever we go for out-of-town team building activities."

"Yup, that's her."

Before Mike could continue, Ska butted in, "Mike, let's skip the how-you-met-Phoebe part, please. I want to know how the cute-innocent-looking girl deceived you."

Driggs and I chuckled at how she emphasized the words cute-innocent-looking girl.

"You seem to be allergic towards cute-innocent-looking girls." Mike rubbed in.

Ska narrowed her eyes on him then flashed a forced smile. "Go on, please...before I kick you out." We all laughed.

"Hahaha! Okay, okay. I didn't know that Phoebe was seeing another guy for two weeks already. She was still texting and calling me. I still get to take her home from work on some days because sometimes she renders overtime."

"Overtime...hmmm." Ska interjected, looking more intrigued.

"I discovered her infidelity, accidentally. It was after my Boss and I took our client to dinner at Greenbelt 3. The restaurant was near the cinemas and I was passing through when I saw Phoebe. She wasn't looking at my direction but I know it's her. Then a tall guy approached her, she wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him on the lips."

I gasp and covered my mouth with both hands.

"Fearless girl!" Driggs said

"Oh my! Fearless? More like stupid! What if someone else caught her two-timing Mike?" Ska was annoyed by Phoebe's audacity.

"She is actually two-timing Mike," I said matter-of-factly.

"Oh yeah, right. She isn't thinking and had the guts to be sweet in public!" Ska reacted.

"Can we let Mike finish?" Driggs looked at Ska for her to stop. "Mike, please continue."

"Alright...so I stand rooted on the ground for a couple of minutes. Somehow I wanted more proof. So I followed them inside the movie theater and I sat through the entire film watching them, being romantic with each other.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"At that time I have no idea why. But I do know that I'm breaking up with her. I stepped out as soon as the end credits started to roll and I waited for them outside. Knowing Phoebe, she likes to be the last person to leave the cinema. When they got out, I approached them. I was smiling at them. The guy was taken aback and asked Phoebe if she knew me. I answered for her. I told him: I'm his ex-boyfriend now. Phoebe, I just want to tell you that you should live a better life than this. I left and didn't bother to look back."