Chapter 21: Restart

December had always been a busy month, and this year it's even more hectic not only because of the Christmas season but more importantly Driggs and Kat are tying the knot. The past two weeks were strenuous. Ska and I had been assisting with the wedding preparations. It was a request from Kat's team due to the multiple events that they were handling. Not that Kat's nuptial wasn't in her Team's priority list, they were just really undermanned. Also, Kat was offloaded by her team for any legwork of her own wedding. In a way, it's their "gift" for her special day.

We were busy with the church rehearsal, final dress fittings with the entourage - for any last minute adjustments, seating arrangements, and final reminders with the vendors – venue, catering, florist, hair and make-up artists, photography, videography, transportation, party host, DJ/band, wedding singer, photo booth. We also had to tweak the program a bit because the groom and bride would like to do a surprise song number for their guests.

Two days before the big day, Ska and I organized a spa party for Kat, her bridesmaids and maid of honor. We booked a spa salon that offered both massage and nail services, and a skin care clinic for facial treatment. Fortunately, both provided home service thus we no longer left the presidential suite that Ska reserved for this.

Kat and the girls were busy with the videoke when Ska found me at the balcony. I had to step away from the living room to answer Mama's call.

"Who was that?" Ska asked.

"Mama, asking if I'm coming home," I replied.

"Okay." Ska draped an arm around my shoulders. "I'm happy we pulled this one off!"

I reciprocated and wrapped an arm on her waist. "Same here! With your connections, you should change careers and go into events planning."

"Correction! They're my parents' contacts. I have no plans of shifting gears. I love training. Events is gruesome!" Ska let go of me and leaned on the steel railings.

"True! I don't know how Kat survives this."

"Well, she loves what she does, that's it!"

"Kat told me weddings are the most stressful to organize. She shared a few "horror" stories from the one's she had coordinated in the past. And she realized, once the mother-in-laws get involved, that's when chaos starts," I chuckled.

"Hahaha! I feel my Mom will be like that. She's going to be very hands-on on my wedding – from selecting the date up to my honeymoon destination."

"Oh my gosh! I never imagined Tita Maggie that way."

"Believe me, the event planner for Grandpa's 70th birthday was on her speed dial. She would call daily to check-up for updates or give new instructions. It's a nightmare!" She laughed.

"Hahaha! Poor you! You should just elope!" I giggled at the idea.

"Wow! What a suggestion from you!"

"It's spontaneous...very...YOU!" I beamed.

Ska chortled at the thought, "At least you won't be surprised if it ever happens. But you...I could never imagine you eloping. You are likely to go through the nerve-wracking months of planning."

"If the mother-in-law gets in the way, I would consider it! Hahaha!"

We were having fun with this monster mother-in-law conversation when Kat summoned us to join them. They were singing along to Spice Girls songs.

(Driggs and Kat's wedding reception)

As Driggs' "best man", I was designated to provide a speech regarding my best friend. It was one of my so-called responsibilities having been assigned to this role. I had completed most in my checklist, except for the bachelor/stag party. I had Mike take charge of that.