Chapter 27: In Black and White

Dear Lytes,

This is unlikely of me to do but there's always a first for everything. I'm not good at expressing myself this way. I'm afraid there'd be a lot of red marks in this letter, you grammar Nazi...hahaha! But here it goes...

I like you.

When I found you shopping and told you I was looking for something for someone special, I was thinking about you. I was lucky I saw you that day. I felt you got annoyed when I couldn't tell you who the special person is, because I couldn't jinx my chance. The moment would've been that chance to tell you but I chickened out.

You are special to me, Lytes. It goes beyond the friendship I have built and secured with you. And I don't want to ruin that in case you don't feel the same way I do about you.

I hope you're enjoying Japan. Please take care and I would like to see you as soon as you're back.

Mike

PS

I hope you like this travel planner...and I know you do. When you found it in the stack of planners at the bookstore, I saw your eyes sparkle because it's pink. You smiled and traced your fingers at the drawing because you found it cute. For a few seconds, you held it and contemplated. I don't know what you're thinking about but I know you like taking notes and scribbling your thoughts. It was perfect for you.

(Days ago back at home...)

Hi Mike,

Where should I start? I guess I just have to be honest and tell you why I've written. I got threatened. When I accompanied you to buy the travel planner for someone that you considered "special", I was disheartened. I'm going to lose...lose my chance...again.

Yes...again. You're reading it right.

I liked you...I still do. I didn't have the courage before to confess.

But seeing how your eyes lighted up and the sweet smile you had when we bought her the gift, I was alarmed. It was a wake-up call.

I know one day I have to deal with these feelings I have for you. I'm unprepared, I admit. But this is probably the best opportunity I have.

Although I couldn't say this to you face-to-face, I had mustered the confidence to tell you...in this cheesy way.

I'm sorry if this will cause you any trouble or confusion.

I'm ready to accept your decision. And whatever that will be, I hope we can continue to be friends.

Lytes

***************This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.