Chapter 13: Missed Calls

The first alarm set on my digital clock was at 5:30am, and then the next 2 were on 15-minute intervals. I didn't hear all three; rather, I was woken up by Mama. She knew that the latest that I should be up was at 6am, otherwise, I would be late or be skipping breakfast at home.

"Lytes! It's already 6!" Mama was shaking my shoulder.

I opened my eyes and jolted from the bed when I heard the time. "Shoots!" I hurried to the bathroom.

"Why don't you eat first? I brought you your breakfast". Mama pointed at the food placed on a tray on my work table.

Mama is really the best! I hugged her and flashed a gratifying smile. "You are the greatest mother ever!"

She laughed and cupped my face. "And you my Dear, look like a panda. Your eye bags are so prominent!"

I ran to the bathroom and checked my face. Mama's right, the dark circles under my eyes are so visible. I went back to my breakfast and said, "I'll just use a concealer".

"Looks like Anthony kept you up really late last night. How is he?" Mama was tidying up my bed.

"We didn't talk. I fell asleep", I answered apathetically.

"Oh, too bad. How about now?"

"It's already late there. And I don't have time now. I'm going to be late for work too".

"Are you going to wait for him again tonight?"

"Maybe...I don't know", I was suddenly not in the mood to finish my breakfast. "I'm done, I'll shower now".

Mama recognized my detachment on this topic and she quit asking. I stood up and hurried to the bathroom.

"I'll clear this out."

"Thanks Ma!" I shouted from the other door.

It was while I was fixing my bag that I realized that my phone was turned off. I switched it on, only to discover that the battery's been drained. "I will charge it in the car", I thought to myself. I picked up my things and hurried through the door. Downstairs my parents were still at the dining table. I walked over to them and bid goodbye.

"Drive safely", Papa said.

"Will do!" I responded.

Once my car's up and running, I plugged in my phone to charge and turned the car stereo on. I picked my "feel good" playlist - a collection of pop dance tunes from the 90s until today. I eyed my phone as soon as I saw it light up with enough battery charge. The message notifications started popping on the screen. I did not see how many but I'm positive that most were from Anthony. More than being worried that we didn't get the chance to talk, I'm more pissed thinking about how I stayed late to wait for him. He could have at least notified me.

"Arrggghhh, I don't want to ruin my day!" I yelled.

I ignored my phone, turned up the volume of the stereo and sang along to Hailee Stenfield's Love Myself.

As soon as I got to my office, I was consumed with work. Come lunch time, Ska suggested we try the new Persian restaurant a block away from the office. Feeling the need to breathe from catching up with my emails and two meetings, I agreed to her invite.

Once we stepped out of the elevator, Ska asked giddily "So, how was the move to the new house?"

"It was exhausting with all the stuff that we moved. But it's all worth it."

"I saw Driggs' post and I'm excited to see your walk-in closet!" she squeezed me in a hug.

"It's small compared to yours", I pulled away from her embrace.