A Book?

Little Patch of Heaven, a farm unlike ours. Filled with peace and wonder, but also danger and noise when gunshots are heard. The residents consist of farm animals. Talking animals.

Our story, like so many others, is about five very special animals. One of them is a brown show cow named Maggie. Since her home was sadly taken away by Alameda Slim and the Willie Brothers Gang, she and a peg-legged jackrabbit, who also used to have a home of his own and lost it to Slim, now live in Patch of Heaven with the other animals, including two other dairy cows and a karate-kicking stallion. Today was a normal day for them, but they planned something for tonight.

"Are you sure everything's ready for tonight, Maggie?" Lucky Jack asked.

"One hundred percent sure. And I couldn't have done it without you," Maggie said.

"Ah, it was nothing," Lucky Jack said while looking around the room.

They added a few things for tonight. There was a table with snacks and drinks and multiple sleeping bags on the ground.

"I'm so excited for tonight's slumber party. We play games, tell ghost stories, eat s'mores, and so on. After my first slumber party with Mrs. Calloway and Grace, I'm prepared for everything," Maggie said with excitement and self-assuring.

"Hopefully, there's also something that I can do, and not only that silly nonsense," Lucky Jack said, motioning with his fingers.

Maggie giggled a bit. "Don't worry, Jack. It'll be fun for everyone... And horse and rabbit."

Lucky Jack smiled at that, then he realized something. "Oh, maybe I can go into town to see if I can find some decorations for tonight," he said with excitement.

Maggie couldn't help but roll her eyes with a smile. "Okay, see you later."

Lucky Jack walked out of the barn and went into town.

He had searched the whole day for decorations and even a few gemstones. Until the time he found what he wanted, it was nighttime. He walked happily back to the barn.

"Wow. Finally, after hours of searching, I finally have some," Lucky Jack said. Suddenly, he looked at the clocktower. "Uh-oh, better hurry or else I'll be late."

But suddenly, something caught his eye. In the star-filled blanket of darkness, a big star shone very brightly. Lucky Jack couldn't keep his eyes away from it, it was so beautiful to look at. Suddenly, the star began to shine even brighter and then it began to move. It flew very fast above Lucky Jack, and it began to descend somewhere in the forest. The impact caused a huge wave of light that everyone could see, but for the moment, only Lucky Jack saw it.

"What was that?" he asked himself. "It looked like it went towards the forest. I better check it out."

He walked towards the entrance to the forest and hesitated a little. He knew how dangerous the forest was, but he was too curious. So he gathered all his strength and went into the forest. Little did he know that two small yellow eyes were watching him.

While Lucky Jack walked in the forest, he looked around nervously. Something could sneak around in the forest, waiting for the perfect moment to pounce. Suddenly, he heard something rustling. He quickly searched for the sound. He heard another, this time, a bit closer. And then one more, and suddenly, it stopped. Lucky Jack was very aware of what might happen. He turned around and what he saw in front of him suddenly made him jump into the air with a yell and fell back to the ground. It was an owl.

"Dagnabbit, owl! Don't scare me like that again. I thought you were a coyote or something," Lucky Jack said.

"Hoo?" the owl said.