C7- ☆Requiem☆

Unedited of course ×

♣️♦️♥️♠️

The atmosphere was silent. So, so silent that you could hear the surrounding chatter with clarity.

Nao then laughed nervously as she waved her hands infront of her. "Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that I met Muzan! Spending time with Muzan was really fun! Muzan listens to me even though I only talk nonsense. Muzan has also saved me a couple of times before! And even if Muzan is not human, I don't regret meeting him at all!"

Nao smiled again as tears continued to leak from her eyes. "Ah... but I'm really hoping that Muzan doesn't regret meeting me, too. It'll be really sad. I think I might cry." She confessed as she stared at him, waiting patiently. "Because I really value Muzan as my friend.."

Muzan's eyes slightly narrowed again as his hand slowly reached out to touch her cheek. "Nao-san, what makes you say that I'm a demon?"

Nao wanted to frown at the way he was stalling. Nao was aware that Muzan knows that there's no refusing her claim. Nao likes lying as much as she likes liars.

She likes to beat around the bush but lying is always out of the question. Muzan knows her enough that when Nao says something, she really means it.

"Ah.." Nao looked down as she played with her fingers.

"I just simply know it..." There was a prolonged silence in the atmosphere before Nao decided to raise her head and speak.

"I just know it. There's no other explanation." She said as she wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes and he withdrew his hand where it returned to his side and went limp.

A beat of silence and then Muzan speaks, expression no longer as gentle as before.

"For how long have you..." Muzan trailed off when he noticed the soft look Nao was showing as if to tell him that she understands and would like to understand him better despite how frustrated she might feel.

The dried tears on the corner of her eyes were also a good reminder that Nao could never truly be his unless she recovers all her memories. Yet as he asked her, he knew that he didn't need to hear an answer to know.

Muzan had a feeling that this would eventually happen afterall.

He then sported a look of amusement. His hand clenched beside him before it relaxed.

"As expected of Nao-san. I should've known. " Muzan replied, musing at the fact that his Nao has known about him ever since their first meeting and she still chose to be with him despite the ugly truth.

Nao smiled sadly as if she was trying to apologize and he didn't know why. Nao never did anything wrong and although it surprised him that she knew from the very start, he accepted it.

It was something that a person like Nao would do.

His gentle expression then disappeared and his plum red eyes shined with intensity.

"I am a demon." Muzan said blankly as he stared at her.

Nao hummed softly as she nodded her head. "Yes. Muzan is a demon." Nao said in a soft manner, showing him that she understood and she didn't need to be told twice. Muzan wanted to frown at her response.

"I am a demon, Nao-san. You do understand this, don't you?"

Nao nodded once more.

"Yes. I understand that Muzan is a demon." Her immediate response made him shake his head.

"... The moment I saw Muzan for the first time, I could already tell that Muzan was different. Muzan has such pretty eyes and an aura that isn't of a human. It's so strange."

If possible, Muzan's eyes turned redder.

"So why? If Nao-san knew that then why did Nao-san approached me? Demons kill humans. And Nao-san's exceptionally frail and weak. I could have killed Nao-san and I would have done it without batting an eyelash."

Of course, Nao knows he doesn't understand. He isn't humane enough to understand. The truth was simple and he might simply laugh at her for her reasons.

But Nao still chose to say it.

"Because I want to be Muzan's friend."

Nao bridged the gap between them as she gently took both of his hands and smiled to him.

"Isn't that enough reason?"

He frowned and he could have shouted at her but this was his Nao. Centuries have passed and she was still so trusting and forward.

"I want to be with Muzan-sama."

Would Nao tell him the same thing if she knew about the past?

With a deep sigh, he relented and spoke as he clutched her hands in a gentle manner.

"I thought it would be inappropriate for Nao-san and I to hold hands?"

She squeezed his hands softly as she giggled.

"I changed my mind. I like holding Muzan's hand. It's warm and it makes me feel at ease." Her response made him squeeze her hands a little too hard as his eyes dilated.

She really is that person, all this time.

"Mimi..."

"Is that a nickname?"

"Mimi.." He repeated and Nao could feel her face burning.

"N-No.. hmm.. don't call me that..." Nao squealed as she pulled back, a blush blooming on her face.

"Kagaya-onii-sama is the only one who calls me that. It would be too embarrassing if both my friend and my brother called me the same petname. "

"Mimi.."

"Muzan..!" Nao said as she blushed deeply. She tried to reprimand him but was surprised when he grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to his chest.

Nao went deadly quiet, her cheeks pressed against his broad chest while his arms were holding her against him. There was a pregnant silence in the atmosphere and amidst that, Nao could hear his heart beating in his chest, could feel his warm breath fanning against her skin as he held her closer. A type of embrace that made her feel as if she was reunited with someone she knows from a long, long time ago.

She embraced him back and felt the same warmth and comfort she felt when they were holding each other's hands and walking down a familiar street.

'Just this once, I want to be selfish.'

Nao knows that it isn't right but deep inside her heart, she knows that she trusts him. She trusts him to the point that Nao can let her guard down and sleep away in his arms.

Her brother would feel extremely worried and disappointed if he finds our and Nao would need to choose once the truth of the situation comes to light.

Nao prayed that it would never happen. She would never want to choose between her most beloved brother and her dearest friend. They were both important people to her and she would hate to lose the other or the both of them just because she was selfish.

Nao decided not to think about it for now and simply enjoy the present moment. For the rest of the night, Nao talked to Muzan as they walked along the streets while holding each other's hand. It felt like everything was back to normal and Nao chose to believe that fact.

Although she knows that she would later reap the consequences of her actions, Nao chose not to care and simply enjoyed being with Muzan.

The demon practically acted the same but his actions were no longer restrained and although he seemed somewhat harsher than before, Nao accepted it since it was part of his nature.

And though Nao has accepted the fact that Muzan is a person so vastly different from her, she would have never expected the same from the others like him.

Especially that person with multiple eyes.