A little bit different (Chapter 16)

Mark's POV:

I decided I would find out what Amy was doing today. I had been laying on the couch with Chica, my phone had of course been upstairs. Normally I would be far too lazy to throw myself up the stairs and walk to my room, but something in me forced my feet to move.
Before I knew it, I was upstairs and already texting Amy.
"Hey Iceddorkroast, if you're free today, I'd love to introduce my puppy to you, and maybe buy you lunch."

She responded nearly three minutes later.

"Sure thing! Shift ends in an hour and I'm hungry!"

Mark smiled to himself, maybe he had a chance. Ethan was gay, so he probably didnt have interest in her. He still had a chance with her. Though he felt some remorse, who was he feeling bad for? Eh, it didnt matter.

An hour later he got in his car and drove off to pick up Amy from work.

Jack's POV:
It was such a boring day today. I needed a distraction. Anything really. I decided to call up Felix, knowing he could probably tame my boredom. I really wanted to call Mark, but I assumed he had enough of me for a week. Maybe I didnt need Felix! I could just record some games and hopefully get a little more popular off of it. It was great to play, and I loved to, but liking while being unliked and being likeable were two very different dances.

I got up from my bed, walking into my recording studio to begin a playthrough of Until Dawn, but I wasnt feeling it. Today was just nothing but boredom.

Maybe I wouldnt be playing a game.

Sooner or later I found myself outside and walking around. Boredom was catching up to me. I began to walk, meandering around my neighborhood uselessly. Cant I get a single break? Once my walk was over, I went back home and sat at the desk in my room. I remembered the papers we were supposed to do for homework. I leafed through them, finding my story had been written for me already, though my handwriting was just slightly off. I was probably just tired while writing it. Reading it made me realized that it wasnt in fact my work, but the work of Mark.
Damn him.

Mark's POV:

Lunch had been great with Amy. We had talked our heads off and laughed our hearts out. It was fun finally getting a chance to spend time with Amy. She was in totally different classes, and worked way too many hours out of the day. We had paid and we were on our way, Amy asked to go to the strip mall close by. Of course I obliged, like the pushover I am. My family and I have a hard enough time trying to get by, and splurging was never something any of us wished to do. But she had reassured me that she could pay for her own items, and would keep the spending of my money to a minimum.

Needless to say I was relieved.

Once we arrived, Amy took me by the hand and ran me across hallway after hallway the mall had to offer. She bought quite a good amount of items, and made me hold the majority of them. Watching her have so much fun made me smile. Soon enough, she wanted to take a small intermission from breaking the bank, and asked me if we could go get ice cream. That sounded like a pretty good idea to me, so that's where we ended up.

I already knew what Amy wanted, strawberry with cheesecake pieces and chocolate sprinkles. She had never failed to order that since we were kids. I decided to stay off the sweets, and being in the cool air was enough to make me contented.
The way she looked up at me from her ice cream was odd to experience. She looked happy though, and so was I. I started to explain to her the logistics of what my party would offer, which made all her attention centered around the words coming out of my mouth.

After explaining, she had frowned. It made me frown too.

"What's up Peebs?" I had asked her, wanting to know what had changed her mood so drastically.

"Ethan cancelled on me. He said he couldnt go that night because he had gymnastics and was going to be extremely late. I probably wont go."
She confessed, which made me feel nervous. Was I going to try and ask her to my own party again?

The answer was Yes.

"Well, you dont have to skip out if you want to go. You can come with me and bring a few friends. I dont mind spending the night with a dork like you. Hell, might as well come in pajama pants and neon socks! Now wouldnt that be hilarious to witness?" I attempted to tell her, in hopes of lightening her mood. I managed to get a giggle out of her, mission accomplished.

She took a good long look at me, her eyes wandering while she computed the situation. She was certainly taking her time while coming up with her answer. Something inside me hinted she didnt want to go with me. So I took it at face value and stayed quiet, understanding that the hesitancy she was giving me was more of a remorse silence for implying a simple no, I looked the direction opposite of where she was looking, letting the uncomfortable silence just fade into silence.

There goes any chance I thought I had.