Chapter 9

9

"Still seasick?"

Akira squinted her eyes a bit as they adjusted to the sun. "Not so much anymore, thank you," she gave Taro a small smile. Then she turned her attention to Neji who has his back on her, looking out at sea.

It was a bright and sunny day. The Pearl was sailing smoothly with Yugito busy behind the till and Yuudai quietly walking around the deck enjoying the sun. Taro was hoisting some rope and was humming a tune to himself. Akira, who had just calmed down from another bout of seasickness, made her way towards Neji.

"Hey," she called to him.

The Hyuuga turned to her. "Feeling better?" He was referring to Akira's early morning barf which woke him up.

A small smile peeked at the corner of the redhead's lips. "Yeah." She tried to ignore the growing queasiness in her stomach. "What are you doing?" she asked, peering over his shoulder. He was holding a small map.

Neji glanced over his shoulder making sure that Taro and Yugito are out of earshot before replying quietly, "I'm studying the terrain. If ever we encounter enemy ninja, we must have a good escape plan."

Akira stood beside him and studied the island he's pointing at. She analyzed its location, its distance from the nearest island and the possible relationship of these islands to Konoha and Kirigakure.

"According to Yugito-san, the nearest island to Nadeshiko is what was formerly known as Uzushiogakure." said Neji. "That shinobi village has long been gone but there is a remnant of some civilian village. If we need to escape, we can head there through this small channel."

Akira looked at where Neji was pointing on the map. "True. But its proximity to Kirigakure is somewhat...disturbing. I mean, we are sort of allies with the Mist but I doubt if they would honor that treaty, knowing that we are so near their turf." She pondered over other possibilities but the next nearest island to Nadeshiko was unknown to them and venturing in that island could be more dangerous than the former Uzushiogakure. She sighed. "But if you study other escape options, I guess our best bet is that small Uzushiogakure island. That's plan A. What's plan B?"

"We enter Hidden Mist."

Akira stared back at Neji, wondering if the brunette was joking or not. Hidden Mist shinobi are known for killing then asking questions later. And Neji, who was supposed to be the "captain" of this mission thinks it's a good idea?

"Tell me you're not serious," Akira said. "This is an undercover mission, not a suicide one."

Neji leaned his back against the ferry's rails, trying not to get distracted by the redhead's unusual appeal. "Between entering that unknown island and getting mauled at Kirigakure, I'd take the latter. I'd rather lose my life fighting against Mist shinobi--whom I'm sure I have a chance at winning against--than risk my life fighting the unknown. At least, we know who we're up against."

Akira pondered over what Neji said. 'That makes sense,' she thought. 'He's right, who knows who or what we'll encounter in that island? Besides if we just get on with the mission and keep our heads down, then I'm sure there won't be a need to escape from enemy.'

"Alright, then how about our entrance?" Akira said after a while. "I figured we should enter Nadeshiko under a low profile. I spoke with Taro and asked him about the docks in Nadeshiko. According to him, there's a small one on the southwest of the island." Akira pointed on the map. "We could drop there." Upon seeing the question in his eyes Akira shrugged. "I used my charm."

Neji smirked. As Akira described the dock that Taro had told her about, he studied the map closely. He nodded. "Its proximity to the woods is a perfect place for us to hide our shinobi gear."