Chapter 28

EDITED: 3/25/17

~~~~~~~~~

28

Kishi slinked back slowly to the small spot behind the trees, careful to hide from the rest of the pack. Silently, he settled in the shadows and sprawled contently on the soft grass. He did his best to look inconspicuous but deep down the blue wolf knows that nothing escapes Yuudai's sharp nose, or Akai's prodding, or Sachiko's curiosity or even Kuroi's intimidation. Just a few minutes since his arrival, his thoughts proved right.

"Oi look! Kishi's back!"

The blue wolf need not turn his head to recognize Akai's presence closely followed by Sachiko, Kuroi and Yuudai. The four surrounded him.

"Where'd you disappear to?" Akai asked, prodding Kishi with his paw. "We thought you died somewhere."

Kishi heard Kuroi snicker and Yuudai reprimanding Akai but Kishi remained silent.

"Kishi, you seem different today," Sachiko remarked. "Are you sick?"

Kishi shook his head. He doesn't really know how to tell them—or if he wants to tell them—or if he's even allowed to tell them. He holds Akira in high regard and is protective of her but the kunoichi does deserve privacy when it comes to such things. Kishi's anxiety was easily sniffed out by the other wolves in spite of his laid-back demeanor.

"Something's off," Kuroi said, circling Kishi while sniffing him. His eyes narrowed in suspicion and Kishi fought the urge to step back. Kuroi was looking really intimidating by now.

"Yeah," Akai agreed. "There's something you're not telling us! Come on, spill!"

Kishi heaved a deep breath. Maybe he could tell them a little.

"I was with Akira-hime," he said slowly.

"And?"

"And nothing. We trained by the lake."

Yuudai snorted. "So what's new with that?" Yuudai sniffed him out. "You're lying."

Kishi bristled at Yuudai's proximity. "No I'm not!"

"You're avoiding the question!" Akai growled, giving Kishi a light push with his paw. "What is it with Akira-hime?"

The other wolves kept prodding him, to the point that the blue wolf was already becoming a little agitated at their persistence. He really should've just shut up. But then their sharp senses can still sniff him out and their bound to know soon. Kishi sighed. It's now or never.

"Alright, alright!" he said loudly. Kishi let out a groan. "Akira-hime... is with the Hyuuga."

Kishi expected an outburst of furious barks. Instead the pack only looked at him as if it's the most boring thing they've heard in their entire existence. Even Yuudai, the most protective of them all when it comes to Akira, only raised a brow.

"So... was it a mission debriefing?" Kuroi asked.

Kishi let out an exasperated groan. "Nooo! You idiots! They're together!" His eyes met Sachiko's and then the white wolf let out an excited bark.

"Oh! I get it!" the female wolf exclaimed. She walked over to Kishi. "It finally happened?! It finally happened!" She exclaimed in glee and began jumping around in excitement. She pressed her nose forcefully against Kishi's and the blue wolf recoiled. "Tell me, did they kiss? How did it go? Did the Hyuuga kid—"

"Hey, easy, Sachiko! I didn't--!"

"Kiss?! What kiss?!" Kuroi's deep voice boomed.

"I swear if that kid did something to Akira-hime...." Yuudai growled.