Chapter 36

EDITED: 4/14/17- spelling and grammar errors, as well as Hiashi and Neji's conversation about the clan's plan to marry off Neji. Also, details of Inoue's death were modified.

~~~~~~~~~~

36

Akira swung her katana, slicing the target dummy in half. She returned the sword to its scabbard just as the decapitated dummy fell to the ground with a dull "thunk". The kunoichi smiled in satisfaction.

She looked around her, appraising the target boards and the trees which bore the brunt of her morning training session. Each kunai found its target, the shuriken had done enough damage and her katana had sliced through the trees to produce kindling for fire. Akira grinned. Her training served two purposes: strengthen her body and provide enough firewood for her home.

"Perfect!" she muttered.

From the bushes, Akai emerged and the wolf barked his approval. "Wonderful, Hime-chan. Once again we'll spend the day cleaning up your training area!"

Akira ignored the sarcasm of the wolf with a roll of her eyes. "It's good exercise for you."

The red Ookami growled in protest but said nothing more as he picked up stray shuriken with his mouth. Akira plopped on the small white bench, temporarily resting her legs and easing her breathing.

The nightmares had visited her again last night. It started with random images from her past and then turning into grotesque scenes of the people she killed—Hideyoshi, those nameless shinobi she slaughtered in some missions and her grandmother. Finally, the Kageboshi itself appeared and it was scarier than ever, eyes glowing red, its chakra scorching hot that she felt like her insides were on fire.

But the grisly image changed to a peaceful one of her and him in that meadow. And same as always, in her dream, they were side by side, not talking but simply there, and for her, that was enough to calm her erratic heart.

Akira woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in cold sweat, but when she finally came to, there was only Akai with her. It was then she noticed the bite marks on her legs. Apparently, the red wolf had been rousing Akira awake but she was too deep into the nightmare. By the time she gained consciousness, her wounds had started to close, although some scratches (her own doing) lingered in various parts of her extremities.

Although it worried Akira that the intensity of her bad dreams had worsened, she tried not to think about it too much. After all, Inoue had said that the demon thrives in negative emotions and she should avoid those at all costs.

But then, Inoue had not exactly been open to her about a lot of things.

"I had to know that you are indeed worth the squabble," Danzo answered vaguely.

"What squabble?"

"Don't worry, it's something between the Council of Elders and the Hokage," replied Danzo. "I'm willing to disclose it to you only if you agree to be my subordinate."

Tomorrow's the last day for her answer. The offer was extremely enticing to Akira. Being a former member of the council, Danzo is sure to know a lot of things about her, even those that her grandmother had not told her. He would be beneficial in her pursuit of identity.

On the other hand, the man is known for his belligerent stance on a lot of things, and although Akira could care less about Konoha's political affairs, she refuses to be indebted to a man like him. Also, thinking about what Neji told her gave her second thoughts.