Chapter 2

2

Knock knock!

Tsunade looked up from the document she's reading. "Come in."

A shinobi entered, looking harassed and flustered.

"Hokage-sama. I have something to tell you."

"What about?" Tsunade asked, having a feeling deep down in her gut that she already knows what it was. After all, Iruka wouldn't come barging in her office looking like this if it wasn't about her and her antics at the Academy.

"There has been another incident in the Academy. It's... Akira and her wolf again. The parents are complaining and wants to speak with you directly." Iruka knew the Hokage was busy and hated to interrupt her with such a petty issue, but when parents have been after your ass for something like this, well, he's partly glad that he'd pass the problem for the Hokage to sort out.

Tsunade shook her head and took a deep breath. She's busy enough running the village, she doesn't need another dispute to add to her worries.

"I'm sorry Hokage-sama, I hate to interrupt you with this-"

The Hokage slammed her fist on the table, making Iruka feel more flustered. "Well, it's not as if I have a choice, do I?!" the Hokage said loudly. "Send them in!"

Iruka gave a small bow and left the room. A few moments later, the Hokage's office was filled with angry parents and their children. The office suddenly became a crowded with complaints from adamant parents.

"My son was terrified sick of what she did! She has no right to scare young children like that!"

"With no disrespect meant, Hokage-sama, I don't know why you keep her in the Academy! I heard that you have received numerous complaints about her teaching methods and yet you've done nothing! My son would not stop crying out of fear and to expel him just for being late! What kind of heartless sensei does that to aspiring shinobi?! She is not fit to be a sensei and we demand that you fire her!"

"Tsunade-sama, she is putting the kids in danger! Why would she bring a wolf in the Academy anyway? That creature is dangerous-"

Iruka interrupted the woman. "It is part of her abilities as a shinobi, very much the same as the Inuzuka dogs-"

"I don't care!" said one parent. "Besides, have you seen any Inuzuka hound biting children?!"

Iruka turned to Tsunade, looking helpless. 'This is what I hate about teaching', he thought. 'Damn that wolf...'

Tsunade closed her eyes briefly. She had heard enough.

"Quiet!" she said sternly, immediately hushing up the complaining parents. She heaved a sigh before addressing their concerns.

"First of all, I personally screen each Academy instructor before giving them my permission to teach. I screened Satsuna Akira and found her qualified and capable of teaching students of young age."

"But Hokage-sama-"

"Please let the Hokage finish!" Shizune, Tsunade's assistant, snapped at the interfering mother. The woman hushed and Tsunade continued.

"Second, although bound by the rules of both the village and the Academy, instructors are given free hand in whatever disciplinary methods they choose." Tsunade saw that the parents were about to say something again and she cut them off. "Akira's methods are unconventional, I know, but I believe she has her reasons. Anyway, has any student of hers ever been hurt by her disciplinary methods?"

One father raised his hand. "My son, Takeo, was bit by her wolf this morning, Hokage-sama! And not only that, she kicked him out of her class and threatened to expel him from the Ninja Academy!"

A mumble of protest and outrage filled Tsunade's office. Iruka and Shizune exchanged glances, both wondering how the Hokage would placate Takeo's father and remedy the situation.

Tsunade raised an eyebrow. "Your son was bit?"

"Yes Hokage-sama," Takeo said nodding. "She ordered her wolf to bite me and throw me." That was a lie of course, but Takeo was just glad to find a reason to blame Akira. He never liked his sensei anyway. Nobody seemed to, as he observed and heard from the grown-ups.

Tsunade found it ridiculous. She may not agree with Akira most of the time, but she knew she would never hurt kids...although Tsunade also knew that Akira likes her breakfast "kid well-done with Teppanyaki sauce".

"Well then, may I see your wound?" she demanded Takeo and his parents. When they can't show her anything, Tsunade knew that this ridiculous meeting was over. "By the way, what could be the reason she tried to expel you from the Academy?"

Takeo looked at the ground and answered, "I-- I was late for two days in a row, Tsunade-sama."

"I guess that concludes it." Tsunade rose from her chair. "From what you have told me you all disagree with her methods of discipline and wants me to fire her out of that sole reason. Well, the answer is no. I cannot fire Satsuna Akira simply because you don't want your children to be disciplined." Some mothers cringed at disagreement but Tsunade waved them off and continued. "As long as the safety and education of the children are not compromised, I will not relieve Akira of her post as an instructor and she will remain teaching in the Academy. I give her leave to use whatever disciplinary methods she wishes to employ. With regards to her wolf, I cannot fault a shinobi for using her Kekkei Genkai, can I?" She then turned to Takeo and his father and gave them a stern look. "As for you, Hideshi-san, I assure you that Takeo will not be expelled and will be given another chance to continue his education. However, I think it would be wise to teach your son the importance of punctuality, honesty and respect to elders."

Hideshi, Takeo's father, averted his stare at the Hokage's words.

"The Academy is the training ground for future shinobi. And I am sure as parents, you are all aware of what it means to be a ninja." Tsunade's voice became more forceful. "It is a harsh world and when you're out there fighting for your life, no mother or father would come to your rescue to save your skin. So, I highly suggest that you let your children start being shinobi, stop mollycoddling them, or simply withdraw them from the school."

There was silence after Tsunade ended her little speech. But one mother spoke out. "You mean, you would just let this pass?"

Tsunade sighed. "I will speak personally to Satsuna Akira and give her disciplinary action. But my verdict stays the same. She will continue to teach at the Academy. Now please, I would like to continue with my work."

With this, Tsunade sat back and tried to regain her focus on the document in front of her. Shizune and Iruka ushered the dissatisfied but slightly placated parents out of the office. When the last mother was out and the door was closed, there was silence so heavy, you could hear a pin drop.

Then...

"NOW SEND FOR THAT AKIRA HERE BEFORE I PERSONALLY FETCH HER AND BEAT HER TO A BLOODY PULP!"

The Hokage's chair flew out the window. Shizune paled as she shrunk at one corner while Iruka mumbled a hasty "H-hai!" before dashing off to find the doomed instructor. They all knew that nobody leaves the office alive when Tsunade is in a fit.

~~~~~~~~

EDITED: 2/15/17- minor spelling and grammar lapses.