Chapter 22

22

"Hey Ginger."

Akira scowled and turned a deaf ear. Beside her Yuudai growled softly in irritation.

"Ginger!"

The shrill voice made Akira clench her fists. Ignoring the woman, the kunoichi focused instead on the road that had turned muddy due to the rain. Her haori was already getting soaked and she's getting cold from the--

"Ginger!"

That did it.

"It's red!" Akira bellowed, shocking those who were around her, even Yuudai. She whipped towards the carriage, eyes flashing with fury. "It's RED, damn it! I'm red, scarlet, but never ginger! My hair is not ginger!"

Fujiwara Keiko stopped in mid-call at the kunoichi's sudden outburst. Yuudai stilled and watched his mistress who was panting slightly both due to the rain and irritation. In front, Kakashi paused to see what had happened but upon hearing Akira's sentiments, he chuckled in amusement. Naruto once again climbed over the carriage to see what the commotion was (and Wakushi this time yelled in surprise at Naruto's sudden movement) and could only mutter, "Akira-chan...". Meanwhile, Neji only shook his head and looked on in amused silence.

None of them knew that the Satsuna was quite particular with her hair.

Keiko sighed and opened the window of her carriage. Her eyes met the kunoichi's angry glare for a minute. "I know it's red. And it's a waste that it's sopping wet right now."

It was only then that Akira saw the umbrella in Keiko's outstretched hand. She paused walking as the carriage trudged on slowly. The blue parasol remained out the small window, with Keiko's fair hand being illuminated by the lamps attached to the vehicle. Akira lengthened her strides and caught up with Fujiwara's carriage.

"It's too late for that now, don't you think?" Akira said grudgingly. Although she was taken aback by Fujiwara's sudden show of kindness, she was still irked by the fact that 1) she repeatedly called her Ginger and 2) Keiko's actions towards the Hyuuga earlier.

Keiko shrugged, brown eyes light with nonchalance. "Better late than never. Just take it."

Akira knew it would be futile to use the umbrella now that she's soaked, but took it nonetheless if only to shut Fujiwara up. Besides, she knew her grandmother would disapprove if she's rude to someone who showed her "kindness".

"Inoue-sama would turn in her grave if you don't thank Fujiwara-san," Yuudai remarked.

"Arigato gozaimasu," Akira said to Keiko grudgingly.

"You're welcome," the other woman replied.

Akira then glanced back at Yuudai. "There, I thanked her. Satisfied?" Yuudai only barked in reply. The kunoichi opened the parasol and while it was wide enough for two people, she couldn't help but feel silly. She's already wet from head to toe because of the steady rain, what use is an umbrella now? But out of courtesy, she held it up with one hand and walked on.

"If it makes you feel uncomfortable, you don't have to use it," Keiko said, watching the kunoichi with curious eyes.

Akira edged closer to the carriage. "Sorry I didn't catch that. What were you saying?"

"I said you don't have to use it."

"I don't want to seem rude."

"But you are rude." Keiko smirked at the surprise in Akira's eyes. "Why bother hiding it?"