15|CARRIE

It was the morning of the dance and also Halloween. All in my house didn't bother going to school. I didn't get up til 8am. And I was alone in bed if you don't count Cleo sleeping around my neck. I've spent three days in my room alone after that night. No one bother asking what happened because they didn't want to push it or because they didn't know. Besides Alma. I told her to keep it to herself when she woke up when I was seeing Charles out. Catching a look at his bruised eye and my red marked cheeks. She didn't say anything and went back up to her room. Catching me wake up at following day to question me.

I received calls from him but I've ignored it. Like I said I would. Multiple texts. Though thankfully he didn't text any one of my friends. If anyone would have found out he had hit me he'll be dead. Or worse, in the hospital.

I quickly took a shower and went down to the kitchen where Marilyn had made breakfast again. "Roberto called. He was wondering if we wanted to go to the dance in a limo. He parents out a bigger one than what they needed." She says handing me a warm muffin. "Sure." I said eating it. "Evelin wants to talk to you. She doesn't have your number and she wants to speak to her as soon as possible." Tyler says while washing his dishes. "Uh. Why? Did something happen?" I asked leaning on the island. "I don't know." He says shrugging his shoulders. I sigh and roll my eyes. "Alright. I'll be heading over there than." I said walking off. "Oh. Great. I need something from my locker." Marilyn says turning off the stove. "Let's go then." I said as I went up to change really quick.

I put on whatever that was first in my closet not caring whose it was and I was out. So was Marilyn with just joggers, a tanktop and my sweater I left hanging in my office.

We got in my car in the garage and I pulled out. It was a nice sunny/windy day for a late October day. Plus Halloween. I pulled out from my house gate and already see mothers with their children trick or treating as I drove.

      There was traffic so we made it at school later then it would have actually taken. I parked in my normal spot. We get out and walk into the school. I knew what class Evelin had. But not her number.

      I check my watch and it so happen to be that this time she was in Mr.Kents class. I sigh as we walked down the hall. I first made my way with Marilyn to get whatever she was gonna get in her locker. And we past his class and I prayed to whatever divine entity there was up there for him not to see me.

      We got to her locker and she quickly opened her locker and grabbed her duffel bag. She closed it and we walk back down the hall to where Evelin's class was. I told Marilyn to go and call her for me. Though as we were right by the class Charles comes out and crosses his arms. I didn't flinch and walk up to him. "Can you call out Evelin for us? We need to talk to her." Marilyn says as I remember she doesn't know we broke up. "I need to talk to Alex. Leave." He says in a harsh tone and Marilyn doesn't like such tone. "What the fuck happen? Did y'all break up?" She says lowly with a cringe. "You didn't tell her?" He asked pointing at her. "Whatever I don't care. It doesn't involve me just don't act like a boy-"

      He pauses her with his palm. "Don't palm me. Alex's stepfather taught me how to dislocate a wrist." She defends herself. "Marilyn. Let us talk." I said calmly as she listened and walked away. Somewhere behind me. "What?" I asked as I look at his fading bruise. The. I check out his outfit that I didn't even notice. Blue jean overalls and a orange and red flannel under and converse. I didn't know what he was either a country boy or a scarecrow with a wheat sticking out from his front pocket. I smiled at myself as we snapped to get my attention.

      "Yes?" I said looking up. "I...I want to apologize again for my actions. I know you won't forgive but I just want to make it clear. I will never hurt you again like the way I did. But can we please be back together again?" He asks grabbing my hands. "Nah. I'm fine. Though I hit you as well so we're even. I respect you so hopefully you respect my decision I'm not going back with you." I said calmly. He nods his head. "I respect your decision. And I love you enough to let you be happy. Also I got you something. It was before what happened." He says letting go of my hands and heading back in the class. He came back a second later with a black familiar book. He hands me it as I look up at him as I opened it. It was a necklace I was checking out the day I was with my niece at the mall. The day I met Violet.