Chapter Seventeen

~Chapter Seventeen~

Looking at my calendar, I see I only have eight weeks left of this pregnancies. Eight weeks before I can finally meet my baby girl and have her in my arms.
I feel like a whale and look like a balloon, although it's only my stomach and boobs that has grown through out the pregnancy, it makes it worse.
My boobs are huge, my back hurts all the time, I feel like I've smoked twenty packets of smoke whenever I do too much and I am sick of getting stuck when I sit down or lay down.
'Sam' I call out in defeat. He comes rushing into the room and looks panicked. 'I can't get up' I say quietly looking away from embarrassment.
His response is to laugh at me hysterically. I glare at him and he comes to help me up out of bed.
When I'm finally on my feet, I slap him and walk to the bathroom. Asshole.
'What are you doing today doll face?' Sam asks through the bathroom door.
'I don't know, I think Im going to stay home' I call back. Once I've done my business, I go out to the living room.
I begin to get cramps but I've looked these up before and they're just Braxton hicks, like practice contractions and while they are slightly painful and uncomfortable, I hear they aren't as bad as real contractions
'You ok?' Sam asks in a panic.
'Yeah, just Braxton hicks' I tell him. He nods but he's a little unsure.
'Ok, call of you need anything' he tells me with a stern look.
'I will, I promise' I tell him. He bends down and gives me a soft lingering kiss before rubbing my stomach and then leaving.
Sam and I still don't have a label as such but he calls me babe an doll face and we kiss and stuff so I guess that's progress.

~~~~~~

I don't do a lot through out the day but the Braxton hicks becomes more frequent and last longer and it's beginning to scare me. She isn't due for another eight weeks, it's too early.
I call the hospital and tell them about my situation. She told me to come in right away.
I was panicking now. She seemed serious and I am so scared. I grab my phone and wallet and keys before I wobble my way out of my apartment. I try to call Sam but it goes to voice mail.
'Sam, I'm going to the hospital, something's wrong and I think she might be coming, I'm about to call your Mom and Sister but please I hope you get this soon' I say to his voice mail.
I call Kendra and thankfully, Holly is with her. 'I'm on my to the hospital, I've been getting contractions but I thought they were braxton hicks but I called the hospital and they told me to come in right away' I rush out.
'Have you called Sam?' Kendra asks
'Yes but it went to voice mail, I left a message so I hope he gets it soon'
'Holly and I will meet you at the hospital'
I hang up and get hit with another contraction. The pain isn't that bad but the fear I have that she is early makes the tears flow.
When I get to the hospital and let them know who I am, they rush me to the observation room.
Asking a million questions and putting this belt thing around my stomach.
'I'll be back in a moment but this is to calculate the contractions and see how intense they are' the nurse says.
I experience two contractions before the woman comes back with Kendra and Holly with her.
'Definitely contractions, I will need you to drop your pants so I can check how dilated you are' the nurse says.
Nervously I do as she says and she puts gloves on and positions my legs and then uncomfortably inserts fingers.
Her eyes widen and I get more worried 'You're already eight centimetres'
'Holly, go find Sam' Kendra orders her daughter.
The nurse rushes away and comes back with a few other people. 'We need to check where your babies head is' the first nurse says. I nod and she feels around my stomach, painfully pushing around my hips bones.
'We need to do a c-section. Your baby is feet down and that can be very dangerous giving birth.'
'Ok' I nod feeling more tears coming.
'We need to give you am epidural and that's a needle in the spine to numb you from stomach down' she explains.
'We need to wait for Sam' I say in a panic 'He has to be here'
'We don't have time Scarlett, if your waters break or you start pushing, things can turn bad and we can't risk it' she tells me.
'I will stay with you until Sam gets here' Kendra says taking my hand.
'I am so scared' I cry to her. 'She's too early'
The nurse runs off orders about getting the heaters ready and the nicu crib.
I feel a rush of emotions. Excitement to have my baby girl, fear that something will go badly and sadness that Sam isn't here.
They rush me into a room where they make Kendra put a robe on and gloves and hair net before they help me from my own shirt. While I'm sitting up they give me the epidural and yes, it hurts.
They then cover my breast and put my own hair net on.
The doors open and Sam rushes in. I sigh in relief and he gets his own gear on.
They put a sheet up just under my boobs so I can't see the procedure being done.
They tell me everything they're doing which makes me feel so much better and Sam holds my hand the whole time, we don't speak much but I know we are both full of emotions.
It's not long before they bring my baby up to my chest.
'Would you like to cut the cord dad?' the nurse asks. She clamps the cord and I hear it. My babies first cries.
The tears flow and once the cord is cut they rush her to a table.
'We just need to make sure her air ways are clear and she has no mucus in her throat ears or nose' the nurse tells me.
'She's so beautiful' I cry.
'Like her mommy' Sam smiles. He kisses my forehead while they sew me back up.
'We did it' I sniff. 'We have our baby'
I listen to my babies cries and all I want to do it hold her but I can't.
'Your daughter is eight weeks early, she is very strong for being this early but she will need a nicu crib for a few weeks and oxygen to help her breathe until her lungs develop properly. We will take you to a room once you've been stitched up and if you wish to breast feed then you can express and we tube feed her that way'
'Is she going to be ok?' I ask.
'She will be fine, usually at 37 weeks they have full function of their lungs but it looks like this one will have full control of we breathing in two weeks tops'
'I want to breast feed' I nod. 'Get her as strong as possible' I nod.
It doesn't take long before I'm back into my own room. Unfortunately our baby isn't with us in the room but I can go see her whenever I want.
'You will be sore for a while and we want you stay in hospital for a few weeks so you can heal properly. When you do leave, you won't be allowed to drive for a further month and you will also need help showering while you're here, we can help you or if you feel more comfortable then your partner can help or the other two woman who you came in with'
'I'll do it' Sam says.
'I understand' I nod.
'Ok, we have done all the measurements an weights for you baby and we can give them to you but right now we need her name' she smiles.
'Aneika Greyson' I tell her. She writes it on two pieces of paper before handing me one.
I look at the details and see she weighs four pound six ounces, her height is thirteen inches long and her head is 11.5 inches round. My baby girl is fairly small but it's expected since she's so early.
Finally though, I have my princess and while she isn't in my arms yet, she is safe and as healthy as she possibly can be for her circumstance.
I couldn't be happier with her, she is beautiful and everything I imagined.