Chapter Six

~Chapter Six~
'The jury find the defendant not guilty' the judge brings his mallet down hard and I sigh in relief and smile.
I leave the court room and Phalipo is smiling at me so I smile back before continuing through the door and calling Sam.
'How did it go?' he asks.
'Not guilty' I tell him smiling.
'Thank you' he sighs in relief.
'Sam, I had nothing to do with his outcome' I tell him.
'You did. You played a big part Scarlet' he replies. 'Come by the club house'
'Ok, I'll probably be half hour' I tell him.
'Ok, stay safe' he says before hanging up. Phalipo comes out and hugs me. I laugh and hug him back.
'Congrats, you aren't in prison'
'Thank you' he tells me.
'Just remember to stay out of trouble' i tell him sternly, even with the finger point.
'You have all protection you will even need because of this outcome Scarlet. Thank you, thank you' I laugh at his excitement and he says 'I have to call my mama' he runs off and pulls his phone from his pocket.
'You could make a really good lawyer miss Winters' Gavin says. 'How would you feel about becoming a lawyer?'
'What? are you serious? I've had no training, not book work' I say.
'Well while you're pregnant, take a course, do some research and after the baby is born and you've had some time off, come back as a lawyer, as my partner'
'Partner?' holy shit. This is amazing.
'Yes, think about, you don't have to do it, just an offer' Gavin smiles.
'Sure' I nod. 'I have to run but I'll see you tomorrow' I tell him. He nods and I set off out of the court house.
I drive to the club house and it's no surprise that Brandi is here.
'Heard about the Phalipo case, good work' Brandi tells me.
'I wasn't his lawyer, I only sat in at his meetings'
'You did more than that is what we've heard' Rico says.
'I gave him advice but that's it' I laugh.
'Sam is in the meeting room, he isn't busy' Butch tells me. I nod and then head into the club house.
'Hi Scarlet' Tommy greets.
'Hi Tommy' I say on my way through.
I enter the meeting room and Sam is at the table smoking a joint by the smell of it. 'Geez Sam, I'll be out here' I say backing out of the room.
'You're the famous Scarlet' a guy I had never met says. He's about thirty years old with the same vest only his has a bit of fabric that says founder and then under that one that says president. He has black curly hair, brown eyes, tattoos on his face and arms and he is tall.
'So it seems' I nod with a shaky smile.
'Jacob, president of the club' he holds his hand out to me and then looks at my swollen stomach. 'I see you are brewing another club member' he winks.
'Leave her alone Jake' Sam says coming over to us. 'She just got Phalipo out of a prison sentence'
'I know, I'm just messing around Sammy' Jacob laughs.
'We haven't met, I'm Claudia, his old lady' a woman says shoving a finger at Jacob. She's about thirty too. Blonde hat with bits of brown in it, make up on her face and a few stress wrinkles.
'Nice to meet you' I smile.
'Congratulations on the baby by the way' she winks. I'm not sure if I am liking all this attention.
'Come on' Sam takes my hand and leads me back outside. We head for the garage where Rico, Butch and Brandi are talking.
'I got some things for the baby' he tells me.
'Me too' Rico says excitedly. Rico heads into the small office and comes back with a bag.
He hands it to me and I sit it on the hood of a car they're working on.
'I got this one' Rico tells me as I pull out a yellow grease monkey suit with the repair shops name and logo on the back. 'When you get a name, I'll get it sewed in' he tells us.
'That's really cute Rico, thank you' I smile hugging him one armed.
I set the suit on the car and take out the next two items. Both a body suit with the motorcycle clubs logo and name on the front and the back, one in blue and the other in pink.
I smile at Sam and he's smiling back "
'That is so darn cute' Brandi coos taking the words right out of my mouth.
'There's also a blanket in there' I look in the bag and pull out the white fluffy blanket with the clubs logo and name on it in black.
'This is beautiful' I tell Sam giving him a hug.
We haven't talked about the kiss from the other week in my kitchen, nor has it happened again. We just act as if nothing happened and I guess I was fine with that for a little bit but I don't think I am anymore.
I know Sam doesn't date and that's why I'm not going to bring it up but I can see this is going to eat at me.
'You ok?' Sam asks me. I blink and nod my head.
'I'm fine, this is just brilliant' I tell him.
'I got a few things to do but I'll stop back by your place in a few hours. I left you present in the draw next to the bed' he flashes a cheeky grin before he, Rico and Butch leave the garage.
'Butch, get everyone out here and ready' Sam orders while I pack the baby stuff away.
'Ready?' I ask Brandi. She nods and we get in the car.
I take us home and go look at the present Sam had left me.
I wasn't expecting flowers or chocolates or anything normal like that. I honestly don't even know what I was expecting from him but when I opened that draw I did not expect to see a fucking gun!

~~~~~

'A gun? Really Sam?' I snap as soon as he and Butch come through the door.
'Yes, you need to be able to protect yourself when no one is here' I don't even bother to ask about the blood or the forming bruising on their faces.
'I am a pregnant woman, what kind of animal would hurt a pregnant woman?' I question, flailing my arms around.
'An animal from a club wanting retaliation on our own. One who doesn't care about an unborn child or innocent woman' he raises his voice slightlt while Brandi and Butch sneak away to her room.
'I will be fine. I don't need a gun, I don't even know how to use it' I stress.
'I will teach you. I will not have you or the baby unprotected in this life'
'I've been fine the eighteen weeks I've been in this life Sam'
'And if another club takes you or our child? You need to be able to defend yourself' he snaps at me.
'What ever' I mutter and head for my bed room.
'Don't walk away from me in an argument Scarlet' he follows me.
'We are done with this conversation Sam. You win again' I snap.
'Stop being so infuriating and stubborn' he growls slamming my door as he comes in.
I glare at him a moment for the door slamming and then take my work jacket off and toss it on the bed while I go look for another change of clothes.
'I'm not the one controlling your life Sam and I know you just want me to be safe and this baby safe but look at it from my point of view. What if I came into your home and told you how it is?' I ask turning back to face him.
'I understand why you're mad and upset and I am sure most of it is the hormones but understand that I don't want anything to happen to you or our baby' it feels like we're on repeat, arguing about the same shit over and over again. It's tiring.
I sit down on my bed with a sigh. 'I'm over fighting. We aren't even together and all we do is fight about the same crap day in day out, we may as we'll be married' I run my hands over my face.
'We wouldn't fight if we didn't care Scarlet' he sighs. I look up at him and his face has gone soft.
We steps forward and kneels down at my level.
'I'm sorry. I know you don't need the stress, I'm sorry for putting this whole life on your shoulders in one go' he tells me.
'I don't think I could have been weaned into it' I say with a half hearted laugh 'you're right, I shouldn't be stressing, it's not good for the baby' i rub my stomach.
'Did Phalipo thank you today?' Sam asks me.
'Yes, he gave me a hug in appreciation before running off to call him mother' I laugh. 'My boss also made me an offer' I tell him. The fight now forgotton
'What kind of offer is that?' Sam asks me.
'He said if I could do a course and do my research, I could be his partner in the law firm after the baby is born' I smile.
'That's fantastic news' he beams.
'It is but his work can take him over the country and I'm not sure if I could leave the baby just like that' I tell him.
'Tell him that you don't want to travel until you're ready' Sam suggests.
I nod my heady, thinking it all over. I could be a lawyer, a good lawyer.
'I might take the offer' I say woth a nod.
We stare at each other for a moment and I know what's about to happen. I can't let him keep doing this.
'Don't kiss me unless you want something with us Sam' I warn him. He smirks at me and he shakes his head.
'That's what I thought' I say standing and then collecting some pyjamas before heading to the bathroom.

~~~~~~

"Nervous?" Dr Anna asks as I lay myself of the bed.
"Yes and dying to use the bathroom" I tell her.
Sam had taken his cut off for this appointment since it's going to be an hour long appointment at the hospital.
They do all sorts of things at this appointment like measurements of the babies bones and all that other stuff.
We have Brandi and Butch in the waiting room, waiting for one or the other to pay up on the bet. Brandi thinks it's a girl, Butch is determined its a boy.
-How about you dad? Nervous?' she asks Sam.
'Yes' he laughs.
I've taken Gavin up on his offer and I've started my course. It's hard since it has to be done in like twenty five weeks but in confident and he said he would help me.
'Alright, baby is measuring two weeks behind now but that's still fine, heart beat is perfect. Do you want to hear it?' hear it? Um, Yes!!
'Yes' I say automatically. She smiles and does something and then I hear it. The fast boom, boom of my baby's heart beat.
I gasp and my eyes fill with tears as I look to a smiling Sam.
'Wow' I whisper.
She goes through everything needed before finally, she asks the question we've been waiting for.
'Would you like to know the sex now?' we both nod and she laughs.
'Well, by the looks of this, you're going to have a little girl'