Twenty-Three

~Chapter Twenty-Three~

My heart was in my throat as they rush Sam into the club house. Tears prick my eyes as I look at his limp, bloodied body.
'Come on sweet heart, he's in the best hands' Kendra tells me, resting a reassuring hand on my shoulder.
I let her lead me to the bar and sit me on the stool.
He can't die. This is all my fault. I should have just left and kept running. I should have stayed at the cabin.
'This is my fault' I say numbly staring at the bar in front of me.
'It's not your fault' Kendra tells me sternly. She doesn't know, she doesn't know why I left.
'But it is, if I didn't leave or if I had of kept running then none of this would have happened' I sob.
'That boy would slap you stupid if he heard you talking like that. I don't know what happened but either way this would have happened if not today then tomorrow or next week' Kendra says.
I nod my head. I know she's right, eventually this would have happened.

~~~~~

I had fed Aneika and changed her diaper and gotten her back to sleep. I had paced the club house. I had cleaned up Sams room here and finally, they bring him out of the meeting room and take him to his room.
'Can I sit with him?' I ask Jacob once the doctor leaves.
'Of course, he will want you there when he wakes up' Jacob smiles. I nod and pull the chair over to the bed.
His face is cut up a little, his lip split, he has a bandage around under his chest and even his knuckles are cut up.
I sigh and watch him sleep.

~~~~~~~

My neck hurts and I feel like someone is watching me. My eyes slowly flutter open and i see the hair of my daughter. She had fallen asleep on me and i guess I must have dozed off too.
My eyes wonder to the bed and i see Sam looking at me. 'You're awake' I say sitting up carefully so I don't wake Neika.
'I've been awake for a while' he smiles but winces before a hand reaches up to his lip.
'Be careful' I fret.
'Have you been here the whole time?' He questions. I nod. He looks at his daughter and i can see the adoration and love he has for her. 'Pass her over' he tells me.
'You should be resting, what if you lay her wrong and hurt yourself?' I ask worrying about everything.
'You worry too much babe' he chuckles but winces once again. 'I'm fine'
We stare at one another, challenging each other before I finally give in. With a sigh, I stand up and gently pass Aneika over to her daddy. 'I'll let them know you're awake' he only nods, not looking at me but down at his daughter.
I walk out and Kendra rushes over 'Where's Neika?' She panics.
'With Sam, he's awake' I say. All heads snap in my direction and a lot of the guys get up and rush to his room like children who just found out there were candy in their beds.
'You should rest dear' Kendra tells me cupping my cheek. Though I did sleep, I'm still exhausted. A head ache has formed with all my worry and tears and i just want to bury myself in the bed and never surface for at least five hours.
'I'm fine' I lie.
'No you're not, go to bed, we've got everything under control' Jacob speaks as he walks past us.
Deciding I couldn't argue with him, I agree.

~~~~~~

I wake to a gun shot. I look around and realize the bassinet has been put in here. I rush over and find Aneika still sleeping.
Another shot is fired so I rush to the bed and pull the gun out from under the pillow.
I really don't know how to use one of these and I'll probably shoot myself but I need to protect my daughter.
I sneak out of the room. I've seen enough to know how to load the gun and i just hope there's bullets in it.
Walking down the hall I hear the commotion and the gun fight. My palms are sweaty, my heart is racing and my hands are shaking.
I stand at the entrance looking at the scene before me. It's the same guys from before, there are men down, Holly is screaming from behind the bar, Sam is painfully fighting off a guy, Kendra is thankfully no where to be seen.
A door opens and i see Kendra but she's not alone. A man comes out, his back turned to me but I seen the knife at her throat.
'Right listen up' everything goes quiet. 'You destroyed what's mine and now I'll destroy what's yours' he spoke.
'You hurt her..' Jacob started.
'You don't get to make threats' the guy snapped and i hear Kendra scream in pain. I had to do this.
I raise the gun. No one can see me, I'm blocked by that guy, I just hope I get a good shot in to let the others take care of him and Kendra can run free.
She screams again and I put my finger on the trigger. 'I'll kill you' Sam screams.
BANG!
I did it. I pulled the trigger.