Request- Jeff Atkins

"Where.... where am I?" he asks.
"You're in the hospital Jeff." his mum replies.
"Why?" he questions, still a little dazed.
"You had an accident. It's a good thing Scarlett went to find you otherwise you may not be here." his mum says, words hitching in her throat.
"Who's Scarlett?"

My heart plummeted through my feet and into the earth's core when I heard that. I walked around his mother and feebly waved at him.

"Hi."
"Hi. I guess I'm sorry we met like this." he chuckles.
"We... You don't remember me?" I ask him, trying to pry the memory out of him.
"I'm sorry no. Last thing I remember is me and Clay hanging out with Leah."

Oh God.
That was a year ago.

"What did you say your name was?"
"Scarlett."
"Wait, I remember you. You're the new girl."
"Jeff, honey, Scarlett isn't new. She's lived here for a year."
"No she just moved here from Canada. She told me and Clay all about it. Why? Have I like traveled in time or something?" he jokes.

His mother and I share an awkward glance, not quite knowing what to do. Thankfully, the nurse came in to give him his pain meds so we had to leave them to it.
We walked out into the corridor in silence, both of us staring at the ground.

"He doesn't remember." she sighs.
"He's forgotten an entire year. He's forgotten me and thinks he's still with his ex." I choke out.

Mrs Atkins wraps her arms around me as I cry into her shoulder.

"I know it's hard but he'll remember. He loved you too much to have completely forgotten you." she comforts.
"Thank you Mrs Atkins."
"You're welcome Scarlett."

The nurse comes back out and tells us that we're able to go back in.

"I should probably go. I don't want to stress him out any more" I say reluctantly, grabbing my bag as I scramble out the door.
"Well, do come and see him again. It might spark something."
"I might. Goodbye, Mrs Atkins."
"Goodbye Scarlett." she waves.

*a month later*

"How are things going with Jeff?" James asks mockingly.
"Oh dear brother how funny you are." I bite back.
"I try," he smirks, "No but seriously. Any progress?"
"Nope. Nothing. Zip. Nada. I think I've shown him every photo we ever took together and he still doesn't remember me."
"You can't be hard on him-"
"I know. I know," I sigh, "But it's not that he doesn't remember me. It's the fact that he remembers her."
"I'm sorry Scarlett." Clay interrupts.
"It's not your fault, it was because of the accident..." I trail off, "Welp I've got to go. I'm going to Jeff's again tonight. I might make it the last time if he doesn't remember me with this"

I pull out a letter I'd written for him apologising after our fight. I thought if happiness didn't trigger his memory maybe anger would.

"What if he does? Then you'll just start fighting again?" Clay points out.
"He'd still remember me." I reply bluntly.

It falls silent as I march out of the room and into my car. I'm silent during the drive, I don't plug my phone into the aux cord, I don't put the radio on. Just silence all the way there.
I get out of the car, swing my bag over my back and make my way to the Atkins' front door. I knock feebly and wait for Mrs Atkins to open the door. I stare at my feet until I hear the door swing open. Surprisingly, it's Jeff that opens the door.

"Oh.Umm. Hey..."
"Hey."
"Well I just came to see if you were ok."
"I'm ok."
"Ok.... Oh! And I also came to give you this. You don't have to read it and this is the last thing I'm giving you I promise." I ramble.
"Ok... I guess I'll see you at school?" he asks.
"You're coming back?!" I reply in shock.
"Yeah, my mum says it's time for me to go back to the 'normal' life." he laughs.
"Ok. Well, I'll see you at school then." I say through a forced smile as I turn to walk away.