Chapter Fourteen [Trouble in Paradise]

Start from the beginning

Bekka pouted, and then her soft footsteps hurried across the floor. I grabbed her wrist when she approached. I lead her to the bed and sat her down like I was putting a child in time-out.

She spread her legs as a last ditch effort to pull me in. "Please, Spencer," she pleaded. "You're a gang member from the Southside. You're supposed to want to sleep with all the girls."

I was growing tired of playing this game. "I said no, Bekka. That's it. Now get dressed."

Without bother to look at her again, I yanked the door open, and left her in the room alone. I wasn't just a fucking Southsider who slept with anything that moved. Clenching my fists as I walked down the hallway, I noticed the party was dying down. The alcohol was slowly losing its grip on me. My eyes landed on Cam who leaned against the island in the kitchen, laughing as he talked with another guy. He had beer in his hand, and his dark eyes met mine.

He tilted his head. "Where you been, Spence?"

I watched him for a moment as I debated whether I should tell him the truth or not. "I passed out in one of the back rooms for a bit. It's been a long couple of days for me. I needed some rest." I leaned against the counter beside him.

He nodded. "Good. My house is your house, my guy. You're welcome anytime."

It was nice to have that invitation extended to me. I might consider spending more time here. Cayden couldn't be upset if I was building stronger ties with the Northside.

My conscience nagged at me to tell Cam the truth. The truth really does set us free. This was my chance to start being the man I wanted to be, but the other guy in the room made me hesitate.

I clasped my hands together. "How's the kid?"

Cam glanced at me, and he let out a brief sigh. "I hope he'll be okay. The paramedics said he has a severe concussion, along with a broken bone or two. I told him to stop coming here earlier this week. He's way too young, Spence," he said as he set his cup on the bar. "I've been seeing too many young kids around here. Their parents are too strung out on drugs to take care of them. I try to give them a safe place, but sometimes it ends up being more dangerous for them here." He traced the lip of his cup with his finger.

I thought about what he said. His facial expression seemed pained as he stared down at his cup. Cam cared about these people, and he was willing to die to protect them.

I let out a soft sigh as I decided he deserved the truth. "Cam, I need to talk to you." I glanced at the other guy again. "Alone."

Cam straightened his body and motioned to the other guy to exit the room. He raised his drink to his lips and took a sip. "Everything good?"

I nodded and was about to speak when we were joined by Bekka. Her gold eyes locked on mine as she circled Cam and smiled lovingly at him. She rested her hand on his shoulder and stretched her body to kiss his cheek.

He wrapped an arm around her waist. "Hey, you."

I glared at her and then looked back at Cam.

"What were you going to say, Spence?" Cam asked.

Bekka leaned toward me, interested as well.

I gritted my teeth before deciding to do it. "I just wanted to tell you that your girl here, she's a slut. She tried to come onto me in the bedroom and begged me to fuck her. She expected me to not say anything to you, but I'm not stupid. I know where my loyalties lie." My eyes narrowed on Bekka with a smirk on my face. I folded my arms across my chest.

Bekka's eyes widened, and she turned to Cam, who had crushed the beer can in his hand. The liquid dripped down his knuckles before falling into a puddle on the floor.