Chapter 1

"Nik?" Rose calls out for her husband as she walks into the room that would become his art studio.

Majority of their items were still in boxes and still needed to be unpacked but some stuff they had left in Mystic Falls because according to the sometimes bratty Rebekah Mikaelson: "what's the need for carrying around so much stuff when we're still just going to buy more?"

"In here love" he comments as he turns to face his wife when she peeps her head into his art studio.

"What are you up to?" She asks him with a smile that falters a little when she notices the sadness in his eyes as she makes her way over toward him, "hey, what's wrong?" She asks him worriedly as she goes to cup his face worriedly

"What would lead you to believe that anything is wrong, love?" He tries to cover with his cocky smile but Rose doesn't fall for it

Part of being married is being able to see through all the lies that he thinks that he can pull off with other people so she calls bullshit.

"Do you forget Mr. Mikaelson that I am your wife?" She asks, jutting out a hip sassily as a small look of amusement flashes across his face as he watches her. "There's very little you could keep secret from me" she points honestly as he silently agrees with her.

He was still learning to get used to having someone read him as easily as she does.

His 1,000 year paranoia wasn't going to disappear in the blink of an eye and Rose is willing to accept that, because she wants to help him deal with it. And she will.

"Now stop trying to distract me with that crooked smile thing you do–"

"What crooked–?"

"Nik" she interjects firmly as she offers him a pointed look. "What's wrong?" She repeats, seeing through his façade.

"I was merely thinking, love" he says to her. If she didn't know better she'd swear there was a hint of nostalgia in his voice.

And maybe there is.

"About?"

"Marcel" he admits to her, drawing her close as he seeks comfort in holding her close as she allows him to.