“I know. I’m sorry but…oh crap.” Mark’s eyes drifted to the window and panic overcame him. “I’ve gotta go,” he muttered, scrambling for the door. I glanced at the window, not noticing anything weird. Even so, I couldn’t just let Mark run off like that. I quickly made my way to the door and headed outside. I made my way into the backyard and found Mark running into the woods. What the hell…? He had to be completely insane to just run into the woods on Halloween night like that. I sprinted after him, the flashlight on my phone guiding me.

“Mark! What the hell is going on?!” I shouted once I spotted him. His back was to me, but he slowly turned to face me. He was visibly shaking.

“I didn’t exactly want to break it to you this way, but I don’t really have much of a choice. I’m not human. Not fully.” Not fully human? What?!

“What do you mean, you’re not fully human? What exactly are you?” I inquired.

“I’m…I’m a werewolf,” he stammered. Suddenly he arched his back and screamed in pain. I expected him to transform right then and there, but he didn’t. I could see the blood pulsing through his veins, though, which stood out in 3D on his arms. 

“And tonight’s a full moon…” everything quickly connected in my brain. “How long have you been this way?” I asked, the curiosity getting the best of me.

“Only a couple months, and I haven’t exactly mastered it yet. I don’t have much control after I transform. You need to leave,” he told me, his breathing heavy and his body heaving.

“But-“ I tried to talk to him, but it was too late. He screeched in pain as his nails grew into claws and extra hair grew on his arms and face. His already ripped clothes tore more, unable to contain the muscles that were expanding for his half-wolf body. He opened his mouth and sharp fangs grew in, and he threw his head back to let out a loud growl, his arms spread wide. Then he hunched over and breathed loudly, as if to catch his breath after such a strenuous transformation. All was quiet apart from his steady respiration for a moment, until I finally decided to speak.

“Mark?” I should have run. I should have escaped as fast as I could, but some small part of me believed that Mark was still in there somewhere, and that he wouldn’t hurt me. For a moment, I thought that theory was correct. He slowly looked up at me, his eyes staring into mine. And then, just like that, he lunged at me and tackled me to the ground.

“Hey! Stop it! Mark, it’s ME! I’m your best friend, remember? Just calm down!” He held me down and clawed at me at first, but then realization hit him, and something in his eyes shifted. He let go and I got up, brushing the extra dirt off of myself.

“Why the hell didn’t you run? I could have killed you,” he scolded me, leaning back against a tree and slumping down to the ground. It seemed to take a lot of energy and concentration for him to calm himself down.

“I thought that maybe if I just talked to you, you’d recognize me, and I was right. I can take care of myself, Mark. We’re both okay, and that’s what matters.”

“You won’t be okay for long. I have your scent. I could track you down and kill you at the next full moon,” he explained.

“You won’t,” I replied, sitting down next to him.

“Don’t be so sure,” he said. “Unless…”

“Unless what?”

“Unless I bite you.” Unless he bites me? 

“Mark, I don’t think-“

“It’s the safest option. If I bite you, you’ll become a part of my pack. Wolves are loyal to their pack. I wouldn’t hurt you, then,” he clarified.

“I’m not worried about you hurting me. You’re not going to, whether I’m a part of your pack or not.”

“Are you really sure about that? I just attacked you a few minutes ago. It took a lot for me to recognize you and convince myself not to rip you to shreds. That could have easily gone a lot worse.” Okay, maybe he had a point. But I wasn’t exactly prepared to become a werewolf.

“You have a point, Mark, but I really don’t know about this,” I admitted. He grabbed my arm, his claws digging into it, causing me to jump a little.

“If you don’t let me bite you, you’re pretty much killing yourself.” He let me sit and think for a little bit. I didn’t want this, but maybe I couldn’t save myself again. Mark was my best friend, and he almost always knew what was best for me. I knew I should listen to him, but I was so afraid.

“So, what’s it gonna be?” he wondered, after I had pondered the idea.

“I…I don’t know, Mark.” He grabbed the collar of my shirt, pulled me up to my feet, and slammed me against the tree.

“Decide. Yes or no?” he growled, baring his teeth at me. He might have been able to hold a conversation, but he definitely wasn’t completely himself. I gulped, closed my eyes, and gave him my answer.

“Do it.”

I let out a cry of pain as he sank his teeth into my neck, the only part of my body that wasn’t covered. I was one of his kind, now. I was a werewolf.

Happy Halloween, everyone! I thought I'd write a monster themed one shot for you guys before the holiday was over! As always, let me know what you think, and vote if you approve :) Also, I have a romantic, *cough* slightly sexy one shot written, but I'll only post it if you want it. So please leave me some comments, letting me know if you want it or not, as well :) Thanks for reading!