32; Go With Your Gut

After another beer apiece, Spencer suggested ordering something a little stronger and neither brother could argue with the idea. After the drama in all of their lives lately, a glass of liquor sounded like a great idea.

When the first glass became empty, Spencer signaled for three more then began to trade stories with Danny.

Jamie took a sip of his drink and shook his head, realizing how similar the two men were in their style of policing. He spoke up a few times to disagree with them about something and threw out some legal terms from his college days, which resulted in them playfully booing him. He couldn't help but laugh at their antics, especially when Spencer tossed a couple of peanut shells over Danny's head at him.

The mood between the three men was relaxed and calm- which were two things they didn't get to experience often in their line of work. The more they laughed and joked, the less Jamie realized he checked his phone. He was still worried about Noelle, of course, but he was starting to have a fun and relaxing night out just like he wanted her to have.

Taking a sip from his glass, Danny finished a story about questioning a suspect by pushing his head in a toilet, which made him realize how badly he needed to use the restroom. Spencer jokingly told him not to shove any heads while he was gone and heard the older man laugh as he walked away.

Spencer let out a laugh of his own, then turned back toward the counter and grabbed his glass to finish it off. From the corner of his eye, he saw Jamie looking down at his drink while lost in thought, causing him to scoot over to the bar stool Danny had been sitting in.

Leaning toward the other man, Spencer barely brushed his shoulder against his. "You okay, man?"

"Yeah." Jamie sighed and picked up his glass to take a sip.

"You know she's gonna be okay, right?" Spencer said, assuming he was worried about Noelle. "I know you all are going to protect her and trust me when I say I will do anything to keep her safe."

"No, I know." Jamie nodded. "I mean, I do still worry about what he's gonna do next, but at the moment, I'm thinking about Baylor and if he is involved; how the hell am I gonna tell her that?"

"I don't have siblings, but I do get dysfunctional families and keeping secrets." Spencer wrapped his hand around his empty glass, wishing it was full. "The best thing you can do is just be as honest as possible with her. It's gonna sting, but it's better than being kept in the dark. At least she'll know what she's up against."

"Yeah," Jamie quietly said, agreeing with him.

She had never been as close to her brother as she was the Reagan siblings, but she always wished they were closer. She had forgiven Baylor more than once through the years- way more than Jamie thought he deserved at times- but she kept giving him chances and hoped one day he would finally get the help he needed and be the big brother she always wanted. But teaming up with her stalker- the man who took her from her loved ones and almost killed her- was something that would be hard to forgive.

"You know what we need?" Spencer's booming voice asked, bringing him out of his thoughts. "We need to do some shots." He hoped a little more liquor would turn the mood around- at least it usually worked for him.

"No. No, no no." Jamie shook his head but was surprised when the bartender placed a couple of shot glasses in front of them and filled it with liquor.

"What?" he breathed out a chuckle in disbelief. He turned to look at Spencer and gestured toward the shot glasses. "Did you signal to him for shots or something?"

"No. Wasn't me." Spencer laughed and held up his hands. "But seems like someone wants us to do shots."

"Yeah, those girls down there." The bartender nodded toward a small group of girls at the end of the bar who began to giggle when the boys looked over at them.