01; Memories Of Home

Noelle Kelley stood surrounded by the crowd, cheering along with the others, as a sea of blue filled into the room, marching toward their seats. She began to cheer louder when her eyes landed on a smiling Jamie Reagan in his uniform. He hadn't seen her yet, but she saw his family earlier outside. She made them promise they wouldn't tell him she was there yet. She wanted her arrival to be a surprise.

She couldn't help but flashback to their childhood, all the times he wanted to play 'cops and robbers'. She couldn't count the times he put his father's cap on his head and grabbed a pair of handcuffs and tried to 'arrest' her. Sometimes they would team up as partners and beg his older brother, Joe, or her older brother, Baylor, to be the robbers.

It was fun, but being a cop wasn't in her blood like it was his. She wasn't surprised at all when she heard he changed his mind and went to the academy. She was more surprised when he went to Harvard Law before.

Hearing his father, Frank, the current police commissioner, speak pulled her out of her thoughts, causing her to sit back down in her chair.

The older Reagan had always been like a second father to her. He treated her the way he would his other kids. If she did something wrong; like the time he caught her sneaking into Jamie's bedroom window one night after a night of her parents and older brother fighting. He had set her down, telling her she was always welcomed there, but she couldn't climb in the window.

Or if she did something good; like graduating at the top of her class and was accepted to Harvard University with Jamie. He was as proud of her as her own parents were. She still remembered the beaming smile on his face as he gave her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"It is with profound praise and gratitude that I welcome you new police officers, proud that you have answered the call to service and today join the ranks of New York's finest," Frank said into the microphone, starting his speech. "You have earned the distinction of being the best trained, best prepared police officers in the world, ready to serve and protect the most vibrant city in the world, where every day brings a responsibility to keep all New Yorkers safe- safe from crime...and safe from terrorism.

"And though the city is on the very cutting edge of technology, nothing...replaces your unwavering sense of right and wrong and your eyes and ears on the street. And we remain safe because of the hard work and dedication of the men and women of the New York City Police Department.

"Now, we all wear the same blue uniform, carry the same shield. Now you are a part of the finest police force in the world. Congratulations to your families, your friends, and congratulations to you, our new...New York City police officers."

Noelle jumped to her feet with the rest of the crowd, cheering wildly as the new officers stood up and threw their white gloves into the air and began to congratulate their fellow graduates.

She couldn't stop smiling as her eyes landed on Jamie in the crowd of blue. She had no doubt he would be a great cop and he could make a great difference, it was the first thought that popped in her head when she heard of his career change.

Knowing he would be out there, making the city a better place, made her glad she decided to move back home and it made her feel safe; which was a feeling she hadn't felt in a few months.

•••

Once the ceremony was over, she made her way outside with the rest of the crowd. Her small, 5′ 2″ frame, tried to cut through the large group of people as she tried to locate any member of the Reagan family.

A wide smile appeared on her face when she saw Jamie- along with his family- several feet ahead. She excused herself and apologized numerous times as she began to push her way through the crowd again, getting closer to them.