24; A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Noelle let out a groan, then rolled from her back to her side, her face scrunched up in pain as the horrible nightmare ran through her mind. It was the same one she had many times before; she's back in the house, Jimmie is coming after her, there is no escape and the worst part...there is no one to save her this time.

With a gasp, she snapped her eyes open and reached out to the other side of the bed for Jamie, then pulled in a shaky breath- her heart feeling heavy when she realized he wasn't there and a part of her worried if he ever would be again.

She sighed and lightly touched the pillow he used to lay his head on, then rolled over to her other side to face the bedside table. She reached out to grab her cell phone, already having a feeling there wouldn't be a text or missed call from him waiting for her.

She pulled up his number and thought about sending him a text message. Her finger hovering over the phone as she tried to figure out what she could even say. She had sent him a few apology texts since the night he showed up at the crime scene to pick up Nicky, but none of these got a response back.

Giving up for now, she dropped the phone onto the bed, then tossed the comforter aside with a sigh before she stood up from the bed. She raised her arms to stretch, then froze when she heard a noise coming from another part of the apartment. She reached out to grab the baseball bat by the bed, then crept out into the hallway.

Hearing another noise, she jumped with a small gasp, then froze for a moment with the bat over her head. She blew out a breath and tried to work up the courage to continue to search the apartment. Tiptoeing into the living room, her eyes scanned the area, not seeing anyone or seeing anything out of place.

Her eyes jumped over to the kitchen door when she realized the noise was coming from in there. With her heart beating in her chest, she slowly walked toward the door, flashing back to the times in Florida when she discovered that Jimmie had rearranged things in the kitchen.

When she was close enough, she kicked at the door, causing it to swing open. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Spencer standing in front of the stove. He turned briefly to look at her, seeing her lower the bat before he turned back to the stove.

"Seriously, again? Are we going to go through this every morning?" Spencer shot her another look from over his shoulder before going back to the eggs cooking in the pan.

"I'm sorry," she breathed out and stepped further into the room, feeling embarrassed for overreacting again. She sat the bat down by the door, then walked over to him. "I keep forgetting you're here."

"Ouch. I'll try not to take offense to that, Elle," he said. "I mean, it has been two full days since I've been staying here, which means, two mornings that you've forgotten I was here."

"Sorry," she repeated with a chuckle. "You know I'm not trying to offend you. Things have been kinda crazy the last couple of days with work and I haven't really been sleeping well..."

He nodded his head as her voice trailed off. He knew her work had been crazy lately because she had been throwing herself into it to stay distracted to keep from thinking of Jamie- just like he also knew she wasn't sleeping well because she was missing him and was plagued by nightmares.

"You know, you don't have to keep making breakfast." She watched him scoop some scrambled eggs from the pan into a plate that already had bacon and toast on it.

"Are you saying you don't want it?" He held the plate out toward her, knowing what the answer would be.

"I didn't say that." She took the plate from him, causing him to smile before he turned back to pour the rest of the eggs into the other plate for himself. "I'm just saying you don't have to do this."