19; Lucky

Hearing a loud noise, Noelle popped her eyes open, then reached out beside her to wake up Jamie, but was met with an empty space. She turned her head, her eyes trying to adjust to the dark room as she wondered where he was.

When she heard another sound coming from the living room, she sat up in bed and called out his name, hoping that was who she heard moving around in her apartment. With shaky hands, she reached out to grab the baseball bat leaning against the bedside table, then slowly stood up from the bed. She tiptoed across the bedroom floor and made her way into the small hallway.

She paused when she made it to the bathroom door and saw it was closed with a stream of light coming from under the door. Leaning closer to the door, she heard the shower running and blew out a breath, realizing Jamie was in there. Maybe the noises she heard earlier were not coming from the living room but the bathroom.

She lightly tapped on the door, then called out his name but didn't hear anything back in return. She tried one more time, then figured he couldn't hear her over the water. For peace of mind, she continued down the hall and into the living room to make sure everything was still locked up. After checking the windows, she walked over to the door to see that all the locks and the chains were in the place.

She laid the bat against the wall by the door, then went into the kitchen to check each cabinet and was pleased to see everything was out of ordered and disorganized. She never thought she would be so happy to see things so untidy and messy, she was the type that needed to have things in order or it drove her crazy.

Growing up, her brother was bad about going through her room and moving things around when he was looking for something to pawn or borrowing something and never putting it back. She still liked things placed in a certain way, but after Jimmie, she wasn't as organized anymore.

Feeling a little calmer, she made her way back down the hall, heading for the bedroom. She paused by the bathroom door again, noticing the light was out and silence on the other side. She smiled and figured that meant Jamie was in the bedroom waiting for her.

With a skip in her step, she bounced the rest of way down the hall and walked into the bedroom. There wasn't much moonlight that night because of the thick cloud cover, casting the room in darkness. There wasn't even a lamp on in the room to chase away the shadows, making her feel a little uneasy as soon as she walked into the room.

Seeing someone standing by the bed, she tried to adjust her eyes to see better as she nervously spoke, "Jamie..."

"Nope," she heard a chilling voice say; a voice she had hoped to never hear again.

As her body began to shake in fear, he reached out to switch the lamp on, the soft glow hitting half of his face, but she didn't need to see it all to know it was Jimmie.

He flashed her a sinister smile. "Guess again."

Noelle let out a scream before her eyes popped open and she sat up in bed, her breathing labored. Seeing a dark shadow from the corner of her eye, she turned her head and saw someone standing in the middle of her dark room, which reminded of her the horrible dream she just woke up from. She let out a terrified scream and scooted back, her back slamming against the headboard.

"Shh, shh, it's okay, Nol. It's only me," she heard Jamie's calming voice say.

He quickly crossed the room and flipped the lamp on as he sat down beside her. She lowered her head and placed her hands over her face to hide her watery eyes and embarrassment. He removed them, then laid his hands on either side and forced her head up.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scream at you-"

"It's okay," Jamie whispered, cutting her off. He kissed her forehead, the tip of her nose, then her lips. "You don't have to apologize, Nol." He brushed her hair away from her sweaty face and asked, "Jimmie?"