02; Revenge Is Sweet

For the next couple of days, Noelle spent most of her waking moments unpacking everything and getting the apartment set up exactly how she wanted. It only took her five times rearranging the bedroom, three times for the living room and twice in the bathroom and kitchen before the place began to feel comfortable- before the place started to feel a little like home.

Feeling exhausted, she left the bedroom after making a few small changes, then shuffled down the hall and into the living room. She stood in the middle of the room with her hands on her hips and glanced around, the room was almost perfect in her opinion. Just one more small adjustment.

Walking over to the table by the door, she picked up a small snow globe of New York City, then began to walk over toward the couch with it. Looking down at the globe, she remembered how Jamie had sent it to her one year for her birthday while she was living in Florida so she wouldn't forget where she came from.

He also knew how much she loved snow. He knew one of her favorite moments was when it was snowy white outside, the world silent and still. She had always loved getting toasty warm by a fire, then bundle up and run outside. She loved that rush of cold blasting her face and feeling snowflakes landing on her cheeks and eyelashes.

She remembered one winter day, she and Jamie had spent all afternoon building a fort in his backyard; which was basically just a big mound of snow with a hole in the side where they could crawl inside to sit. The two sat in it for the rest of the day until they were called in for dinner.

That evening he glanced out his window to check on the fort and saw a light coming from it. After sneaking outside, he found her inside of it with a flashlight. She raised her head, her lower lip quivering with a tear-stained face. Her brother and parents were in the middle of another one of their fights so she came to the fort. It had made her feel so safe earlier that day so she wanted to run away from home and live in the fort.

He had sat with her, the two huddled together for warmth until he had to go inside for bedtime. He had promised to come back to her once everyone went to sleep and he had kept that promise. He even brought them a sleeping bag to share and pillows. The two weren't out there for long until his father's face appeared at the hole.

He had made Jamie go back inside and had driven her one street over to her house. Her parents were surprised to even find out she was gone, they thought she was in her room the whole time and never heard her leave in the middle of the fight. That wasn't the first time she had run away from home, and it wouldn't be the last either, each time she got better and better at it.

She continued to look at the snow globe with a small smile on her lips, then she placed it on the table beside the couch- now she felt like the living room was perfect.

Feeling her stomach growl, she carried her tired body into the kitchen and began to search the refrigerator and cabinets, but not finding much to choose from. When she first moved in, she bought a few quick meals- mostly junk food- but all of that was long gone now.

She let out a groan and rested her hands on her hips, knowing she would have to go to the store no matter how tired she felt.

It almost made her want to call in for take-out, but after Florida, she had reservations about giving her address to someone she didn't know. She was too scared of it ending up in the wrong hands- it was mostly one pair of wrong hands she was paranoid about the most.

Glancing down at what she was wearing; a pair of sweatpants and cutoff tank top, she made her way to the bedroom and grabbed a pullover hoodie. She didn't want to chance the tank top riding up in public and exposing the scar on her side.

She went back into the living room to slip on a pair of shoes and got distracted by the television. She almost always had a television on, even when she wasn't watching it and it was muted, she liked having the added glow of light in a room to chase away the shadows.